Celtic Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a chafeteaux celtic ff boiler. The problem is the pilot light keeps going out. We are with britsh gas boiler cover but they have been out 3 times now and replaced the pump, released some gas :oops: and then the last said there was no point even removing the cover as he was sure it needed a Celtic Flush. He then went on to try and get us to buy a new boiler.

Does this sound right to you guys?

If so i cant afford the £500 for the flush, is this something i could do myself.

I have done a search on here and have read about Fernox, will this fix the problem.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Sponsored Links
BG are well known for trying to persuade people to buy a new boiler or have a power flush, rather than fulfilling their obligation to repair the boiler. But unless you get a second opinion, it's difficult for you to argue the toss with BG.

However, BG might possibly have a point if the pilot light is going out as a result of an overheat stat tripping due to overheating of a heat exchanger due to corrosion deposits. Not sure off hand if that could apply to the Celtic, but I expect so. There are other reasons for a pilot light to fail, but you don't give enough information to make a diagnosis (such as when the pilot goes out).

Thanks for the reply,

There is no real pattern to it it just goes out within the hour or 2 after lighting it.

We had the system drained about 3 years ago and inhibitor was put in.

I wouldn' bother gettin a 15 - 20 year old French boiler powerflushed, but I would bite the bullet and replace it. Technically a powerflush should only really be recommended after the results of a water sample have been analysed, but quite often it is obvious.

Sponsored Links
ollski bang on celtic boilers are notoriously crap any magnetite soon collects in the braided pipe from pump to heat ex.If blr noiser when on dhw only then suspect blockage ps would you have a 15 to 20 year old french car parked on drive

Messures..........My mate has a chafeteaux boiler fitted in 1978 ish and it`s still going strong.can`t remember the model ofhand, but it has no electrical connection, it works on the water flow.I fitted it :LOL: I wouldn`t mind a Citroen DS decapotable on my drive ;)

Nige F said:
Messures..........My mate has a chafeteaux boiler fitted in 1978 ish and it`s still going strong.can`t remember the model ofhand, but it has no electrical connection, it works on the water flow.I fitted it :LOL: I wouldn`t mind a Citroen DS decapotable on my drive ;)

Got a few round here, they are fitted almost in the baths...glorified water heaters. They last a bit longer because our garlic cousins stuck to their limits. Love the old leblancs, every wire is black!.

I just noticed that when it cuts out the pressure gauge is showing 2.5 bar it was usually just over 1.

I will be getting it replaced but cannot afford it for a few months. Is there any cheap repair i could do in the meantime so we have heating this winter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back