Central Heating And Hot Water Separately Controlled Magic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rather old boiler system and have found a two port valve which feeds my hot water cylinder. I cannot find a two port valve on the central heating pipework.

The boiler is a back boiler which is not a combi - It is an ideal mexico

I recently bought a Drayton MiTime programmer with wireless thermostat thinking that if I leave the programmer to "always on" for heating and hot water then when the hot water is satisfied and the heating is satisfied this would turn off the boiler.

This has not happened and the radiators continue giving off heat even though the thermostat is satisfied

Is it possible for me to be able to control hot water and central heating seperately now I have the drayton programmer with woreless thermostat - The programmer was quite expensive and I bought it only so that the central heating could be regulated!

Appreciate any advice you have!

Sponsored Links
Take a long time to explain what you have going on here, 2 port valve system either opens up to your heating system or shuts down when hot water to your cylinder is required. You probably have one 2 port valve which allows either hot water or heating rather than both. You should able to select either or regardless of programmer,if you select your programmer to `always on` it will do just that, stay on, constantly,you need to choose a programme for your heating to come on at times that you choose, or put your heating on manually when you require it.Most people just select manual when they require heating. Seems like you don`t understand your programmer,let me know further, happy to help. ;)

I have a rather old boiler system and have found a two port valve which feeds my hot water cylinder. I cannot find a two port valve on the central heating pipework.

The boiler is a back boiler which is not a combi - It is an ideal mexico
The Mexico is not a back boiler!

Can you say how many water pipes are connected to the boiler?

Can you post a pic showing the HW cylinder, valve and pipework?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back