Central heating bangs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help here,

I have a apollo 50B boiler, the problem i have is after approximately 30 - 60 minutes the central heating pipe's bang like crazy as if somebody is hammering the floor upstairs, now im pretty sure this is due to steam from the boiler as everytime it happens the pump has shut off.

I have fitted a new pump and this hasn't solved the problem, the pump continues to run when the heating is knocked off so i am assuming the pump overrun stat is ok.

Has anybody ever come accross this problem before? is it likely to be the overheat cut off device on the boiler that shuts of the pump hense causing the stationary water in the boiler heat exchanger to boil?

or would one of the hi/lo thermostats on the feed pipes cause the pump to stop?

after approximately 30 seconds the pump fires back up and all is back to normal unitil it happens again.

Any idea's solutions would be great , Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Im not sure kevplumb the pump, 3 way diverter valve and hot DHW stat are all wired to a central junction box in the airing cupboard i assume that it must be linked to the timer/controller and the boiler?

Any more idea's

Sponsored Links
If your saying pump stops and loses power.
Common fault with apollos .
Manufacturers part number 402S088 pump over run stat

Brilliant thanks for the replys,

I'll get a new overrun stat fitted and let you know if it solves it.

Thanks

does it only do it on high setting, or low as well.

seems to do it on both setting, but when on High the radiators get so hot you cannot touch them, and the noise made i can only explain as a child going pew pew pew as if playing with toy guns ( if you can get what i mean)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back