Central Heating/Boiler Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently renovating a 3 bed detached house. The existing CH/HW is now 40 years old - large cylinder and tank airing cupboard with an expansion tank up in the loft. There is an equally old Potterton boiler in the garage.

I was going to replace the entire lot with a combi boiler - primarily because hot water on demand is quite important to my other half. And I also need the room in the bathroom that'c currently occupied by the tank and cylinder.

Are there any systems I could consider that would allow me to get rid of that cylinder and tank from the bathroom?

Will

Sponsored Links
Yeah, thanks for the reply.

There is quite a bit of room up in the loft, so might be able to fit an unvented cylinder up there. Just considering the pro's and cons of each type.....

Think a combi will be simpler and quicker, so unless there are major advantages to one of the other type of system, i think i'll have to go down the combi route.

Sponsored Links
If you can keep the source of HW close to the hot tap, never been a fan of a combi in the loft though now remote control of boilers is a reality. You've got to get rid of probably 10m's of cold water when you run the hot at the sink then worse, after using the hot 10m's of hot water grows cold in the pipe. If you go unvented no problem with hw on demand, lots of it everywhere, not always the case with combi's. Boiler goes wrong you have an immersion heater as backup, with a combi you're washing in cold unless you have an electric shower. Combi's cheaper but if the existing system is sound that's free. Water pressure, flowrate important with either, get a decent installer in to quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back