central heating boiler problem --- sludge? Wrong advice?

I didnt realise these things existed ! crikey how unlucky to be lumbered with one. Bet you've had some value out of D&G !
Sounds like a pressure problem then. I presume the water isnt getting exessively hot? Do you have a mixer valve?
You can try pumping up the vessel but as its never been done it may be duff. A generic vessel will cost about £30 to buy. Make sure when you try pumping it up you have an open end somewhere, otherwise you wont be doing any use. Best if its done while disconnected.

Sponsored Links
OK guys

Never got a chance yeterday but the wife is out the way now and I've started pumping this up and just wanted to make sure this is standard procedure what I'm doing and observing.

I've turned off the mains water supply and opened a tap in the kitchen. I stuck the end of a match in the valve to open it and water come out right away so connected the foot pump. As I was pumping up water was flowing out the tap until a point where it stopped about 2 bar. I've continued pumping to about 2.5 bar.

Some of you said it would be hard to get to 3.5 bar but seems to be no bother with this foot pump. Should I give it the whole pressure or see how it goes with 2.5 bar?

EDIT--If water is coming out the valve then it's a burst diaphragm and any air pumped in will just find it's way out the system right? So needs a new vessel that is rated for potable water?

Not just D&G though, the guy was from Baxi Heating who are supposed to know about Potterton stuff.

Doesn't make any difference, as agile has said it should have been pretty obvious to any decent engineer where the problem lay

Matt

I've turned off the mains water supply and opened a tap in the kitchen. I stuck the end of a match in the valve to open it and water come out right away?
Then surely the diaphragm is burst time for a new one . I got a new one off E Bay - that`s OK because the heater I was connecting up was under 15. litres - it was in my own house and I think I`m competent ;)

Sponsored Links
I've turned off the mains water supply and opened a tap in the kitchen. I stuck the end of a match in the valve to open it and water come out right away

Some of you said it would be hard to get to 3.5 bar but seems to be no bother with this foot pump. Should I give it the whole pressure or see how it goes with 2.5 bar?

No,you should be replacing the vessel as that on is likely goosed
How much water was coming out the Schrader valve?
You are also not charging it correctly

I've turned off the mains water supply and opened a tap in the kitchen. I stuck the end of a match in the valve to open it and water come out right away

Basically just leaking out, once charged I tried the valve again and it was more of an aspiration rather than a jet of water.

What is the correct procedure?

I've turned off the mains water supply and opened a tap in the kitchen. I stuck the end of a match in the valve to open it and water come out right away?
Then surely the diaphragm is burst time for a new one . I got a new one off E Bay - that`s OK because the heater I was connecting up was under 15. litres - it was in my own house and I think I`m competent ;)

Is it not the case that moisture can appear in the diaphragm side through condensation etc and that is all that is being expelled?

Sourced from a heating engineer, "Some people will tell you your diphragm is bust but it's just condensation that's been drawn in on the air side over the years due to continued heating and cooling. I've seen some guys say you need a new vessel then just pump up the vessel and put the same one back on knowing fine well there is no burst diaphragm"

Basically just leaking out, once charged I tried the valve again and it was more of an aspiration rather than a jet of water.

What is the correct procedure?

Then it is likely to be ok mate
I usually keep the valve depressed until the fluid stops ( or doesn't) that's why I asked how much
But yours does sound as though its ok

You need to take it up to 3.5 bar

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back