Sludged up boiler

Just wanted to say a big thank you to petit pablo for his advice on my boiler problems. I took your advice - contacted BG again and this time spoke to someone really helpful who sent another engineer and a manger to look at the boiler. I also got an independent in to take a look. Consensus is that the boiler might last another year or two but is badly corroded mainly due to dirty water, sludge etc. BG have offered to replace our boiler free of charge if we pay for the powerflush and magnetic cleaning 'thingy' (sorry - don't know what its called!). Seeing as they didn't fit or recommend the original boiler, nor clean the system originally, that seems a better outcome than I'd expected. They even let us choose a more expensive boiler so it fits in the original kitchen cupboard. So good customer care once I complained and started to sound like I knew what I was talking about (well, a bit - thanks Petit Pablo!).

Sponsored Links
BG have offered to replace our boiler free of charge if we pay for the powerflush and magnetic cleaning 'thingy'
That sounds too good to be true!

A Powerflush will be about £700 and the magnetic filter about £200 to install; let's say £1000 in all. But that's about the cost of the boiler. So are BG forgoing any labour charge for the installation?

Make sure you get their offer in writing; and dont forget to read the small print where they list all the get-out clauses!

Sponsored Links
I sense catch ....

Probably a free boiler but you have to pay (over the odds) for the labour ;)

We all know what happened after the beancounters took control of BG.

When you know that the lay-off clouds are gathering at the horizon, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what the better option is for most guys on the road.
You can save yourself some time, make some extra money, and stay in the good books of the suits in the office if you use every opportunity to slag an existing boiler. Your other option is to be good at your job and honest about what you find, in which case you are working more hours for less money and risk the wrath of your boss.

You can't blame guys for choosing option 1.

I chose option 2 that's why I eventually walked away after 16 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back