Central Heating Boiler Setting for Economy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am new to forums so please bear with me.......Could anybody offer some advise on Central Heating boiler settings. I have a 14 year old Ideal Classic gas boiler and cannot decide if it is more economical to have the boiler thermostat setting turned down low or up high in these cold winter months. I have thermostats on most of my radiators that are mostly on a high setting, and the thermostat on my hot water tank is set at 60 degrees. I have had the boiler setting turned down low over the past week and the house generally is OK but am I burning more gas this way ? Any advise would be appreciated......

Sponsored Links
If you have a room thermostat then you are better having the boiler thermostat high and control the temperature with the room thermostat to the desired temperature that you want. If you have the boiler turned down low then it will take longer for the radiators to heat your property to the temperature that you have set on your room thermostat. (But to be honest the difference in your gas bill would not be a big amount)

Most economical setting of all = Off :eek:

But seriously the advice above makes most sense otherwise with the boiler set low it will always be trying to play catch-up to keep the house at a reasonable temperature and potentially may never reach your target temperature in very cold snaps, so will be constantly firing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. The conncensus is to have the boiler setting up higher to use the least gas over a period. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back