Central heating continually stuck on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a myson apollo boiler with Honeywell control and thermostat. i generally have my heating set on twice but lately although the light goes of on the controller to show that the heating is off the boiler remains on. I tried lowering the thermostat setting but this does not seem to work either all though I'm not 100% on this. What could cause the heating to remain on when it should be off?

Thanks

A hot under the collar Ally

Sponsored Links
Is it only remaining on between timed settings. Or even when you switch the CH off at the controler

It seems that now although the heating should be on and sounds like it is on the radiators are not getting warm and there is a lot of banging noises from near the airing cupboard/loft, could this be the valve sticking which you mention?

Sponsored Links
What could cause the heating to remain on when it should be off?

Sticking microswitch on motorised valve

radiators are not getting warm and there is a lot of banging noises from near the airing cupboard/loft,

That could be your pump.

Sounds like you have more than 1 problem.

Better getting someone in to look at it.

Heating would not come on again last night and loads of banging again but this stops if the controller is set to off. Tried putting the valve in manual but this didn't seem to make a difference, the pump is a Grundfos Selectric and I tried primming this although only a trickle came out, the pump shaft does however turn freely but the pump never sound as though it is running, think it must be the pump?

your pump is not switching on with the boiler,consequently the boiling water is venting to the FE tank causing the banging. I had this problem with my Myson, albeit intermitantly. Fixed by changing the pump overrun stat.

If you are confident with electrics, remove plastic cap off pump and with heating switched on check that there is 240 volts to pump, if there is your pump is goosed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back