Central heating control.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My combi boiler is roughly 7-8 years old. My parents had a new boiler fitted on Wednesday and have a heater control by their front door, so basically they can control their heating with out having to go up stairs. It’s wireless.

Are these easy to fit, is a job I can do myself or do I need a heating engineer to come and do it? Where will I find any info about what controller is compatible with my boiler.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
all boilers can be controlled by any heating control , they are simply an on off switch depending on what you want them to do

There are a few methods to control central heating, analogue is best option where it turns the boiler output up or down rather than off/on (digital) and you can have a centralised control
EVO-home1.jpg
this is EvoHome and it links to the TRV heads. However the point is how much you want to spend. A TRV head which has wireless connection can cost £50 each, but a local electronic head can cost as little as £10 and in the main it is a compromise, so may be one or two linked TRV heads and the rest cheaper versions.

So in theory central heating can be controlled by the TRV, but it has a flaw, the flaw is on a warm day it will not totally turn of the central heating, so we were told to put a wall thermostat in a room kept cool with no alternative heating, and no doors to outside and on ground floor, and it only turns off on a warm day.

The problem is the cost of control can cost more than it will save, so it is a compromise, Drayton Wiser is likely the best, but can cost £1000 in total so I used cheap TRV heads EQ-3 Bluetooth Smart Radiator Thermostat.jpg they cost me £15 each with bluetooth, but that was before Brexit, seems price have gone up.
all boilers can be controlled by any heating control , they are simply an on off switch depending on what you want them to do
Not quite correct, in the 80's the condensate gas boiler was invented, and it gains the latent heat from flue gases, for this to work the return water needs to be cool enough, so that in turns means the TRV is the main control, and this slowly increases or decreases the flow through the radiator. With an oil boiler @ianmcd is correct, but with gas either it is the water temperature or connected to boiler ebus, the OpenTherm system however is not supported by all boilers, some manufacturers you can only use their own thermostats.

Hmmm, you have made this sound a it more complicated then I thought it was. I don’t think my parents had any new TRV’s fitted, just a boiler.

Whats the rough price of a half decent digital, wireless, battery powered unit that can control temp and turn on and off.

Who fits this, a heating guy (or girl) or electrician.

Sponsored Links
D4NIEL - I think you need to make it clear, what you have installed at the moment in the way of a heating system and particularly the controls. Photos will help.

Swapping a wireless control for an existing wired thermostat, is a fairly easy DIY fix.

Start by telling us which boiler you have - some you can open the case on and others have a combustion circuit that needs to be checked for safety afterwards.

I currently have a Ideal Procombi Exclusive 24 boiler.
Opening of this boiler disturbs the combustion circuit, and therefore the relevant safety checks need to be performed afterwards. It appears to be mains switching, so an extra low voltage, eg 24v wouldn’t work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back