Central heating controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having difficulty getting my head round a central heating wiring issue. I have a Drayton LP711 single channel time switch with a Honeywell DT90E thermostat and a powermatic gas warm blown air heater.
The powermatic has only 2 wires ( control circuit) and the thermostat is 2 wire. How do I connect it up ?, any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Drayton LP711 instructions
upload_2021-11-28_0-20-21.png
and Honeywell DT90E thermostat manual so something like this
upload_2021-11-28_0-46-26.png

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to say the boiler is 0v. Am I right in thinking if this is the case there will be no need for the L link to the common 1.
Would it work if I wire it
Wire from boiler to timer term 2
Timer term 3 to stat term A
Stat term C to boiler wire

What do you mean by 0v? Where are you measuring? Are any existing controls in place?

Sponsored Links
I am just assuming it’s 0v going back to the boiler because if a join them together the boiler runs.

Probably need as Eric has done then, just make sure your switching (control wires) are the correct voltage, eg mains or 24v.

Most warm air units need a permanent electricity supply so that the fan can continue to cool the heater after the programmer / thermostat has switched off the burner, and the control wires are separate to that. Which sounds to me like what you have...

I have L and N at the boiler and 2 control wires from the boiler.

The installation manual for your specific model of heater should provide the necessary information with regard to connecting external controls. If the control wires to the existing thermostat are 230V. One should be a permanent 'live supply' and the other the 'switched live', in which case, the permanent live can be used for the programmer L.

If you determine that the control wires are 230V 'permanent live' and 'switched live' [The installation manual for your specific heater should provide this information] then it could be connected as below.

Capture.JPG

I've shown the programmer receiving its live supply from the heater because there can be an internal fuse for the control circuits. Sometimes warm air heaters require a 13A fuse for their supply which is too high for the control circuits. But you would need to check this is the case for your particular heater.

If the control wires are not 230V or you're not sure it can be connected with the control circuits isolated from the 230V supply. The 230V supply to power the Programmer will need a separate connection to a suitable supply fused at 3A or less. Note that in this instance there is no link between the 230V and control wiring.

bcd.JPG

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Stem
Spot on with your second diagram.
I had already got it sorted by sitting down and drawing the circuit.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back