central heating drain cock, how many?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to central heating and just had a quick butchers at the wiki here. That advocates a single drain cock with a hose attached for draining. I was thinking of using two so the flow sludge doesn't have to go through the rads to the return cock, or vice versa. But I had been/am flushing with funnel for input, bucket to catch and gravity for pressure. Would it be easy to clamp hoses to an inlet (say in place of a TRV) and the drain cock and flush quickly that way?

It will be a combi boiler system and I am about to install a drain cock., Actually had been envisioning just a service valve or two.

Sponsored Links
I'm new to central heating and just had a quick butchers at the wiki here. it advocates a single drain cock with a hose attached. I was thinking of using two so the flow sludge doesn't have to go through the rads to the return cock, or vice versa. but I had been flushing with funnel bucket and gravity. would it be easy to clamp hoses to an inlet and drain cock and flush quickly that way?

it will be a combi boiler system and I am about to install a drain cock, actually had been envisioning just a service valve or two.

Forgive my rudeness, but if you could translate that into intelligible English, somebody may be able to help you :rolleyes:

I'm new to central heating and just had a quick butchers at the wiki here. it advocates a single drain cock with a hose attached. I was thinking of using two so the flow sludge doesn't have to go through the rads to the return cock, or vice versa. but I had been flushing with funnel bucket and gravity. would it be easy to clamp hoses to an inlet and drain cock and flush quickly that way?

it will be a combi boiler system and I am about to install a drain cock, actually had been envisioning just a service valve or two.

Forgive my rudeness, but if you could translate that into intelligible English, somebody may be able to help you :rolleyes:

Thanks for a proof read, really need a computer set up as my phone really takes the pi$$ with it's cockless dictionary.

If the rads are fed from drops from above its always a good idea to have a draincock on each rad.

Sponsored Links
If the rads are fed from drops from above its always a good idea to have a draincock on each rad.
no, there not. all are feed from underneath the suspended ground floor. it's a one floor job.

In that case then at the lowest point and the easiest to get to that is likely to cause the least amount of disruption/mess.

It will be a combi boiler system and I am about to install a drain cock., Actually had been envisioning just a service valve or two.[/quote]

Why not try to run a 15m tube through a wall, terminating in a drain cock?
Where practical, and subject to appearance issues, I try to fit a 15mm iso, inside a cupboard, say, with a DC on one nut. That way, to drain, remove the DC, connect a hose to the Iso, and you get a much better flow. The DC is simply there in case someone comes along who can't understand ;)

I assume you are fitting a new system? Try ton design out the problems of sludging, and, for example, fit a magnetic filter.

Another way is to have a T off the main return pipe onto a lockshield gate valve and then a 15mm piece of pipe running outside.

Another way is to have a T off the main return pipe onto a lockshield gate valve and then a 15mm piece of pipe running outside.

It might be in Scotland but not around here.

A drain off should be removable so it is obvious. Full bore valves are availlable.

Terry WF:
It might be in Scotland but not around here.

A drain off should be removable so it is obvious. Full bore valves are availlable.

Oops, then. That is what I did in home :eek: :oops:

But the key ring tag should give a cluec ;)

FiremanT, iso is an isolating ball valve, correct?
Don't know what DC means.
As for going through walls outside, no can do, to thick. Under floor is where it's lowest.
I'll buy 2 drain cock type A and return one if I don't need on flow AND return.

What I need is a good way to connect to 15mm copper so I can route my hoses and use my 3/4"BSP drill pump attachment to flush, or just drain out of my ball valve.

thanks for the advice.

FiremanT, iso is an isolating ball valve, correct?
Don't know what DC means.
As for going through walls outside, no can do, to thick. Under floor is where it's lowest.
I'll buy 2 drain cock type A and return one if I don't need on flow AND return.

What I need is a good way to connect to 15mm copper so I can route my hoses and use my 3/4"BSP drill pump attachment to flush, or just drain out of my ball valve.

thanks for the advice.

Don't understand, what's the issue with a lockshield to use as a drain through a 15mm pipe when it's tagged as such? Should be pretty obvious?

Nworb, I've drilled through red sandstone walls for pipework, 2 feet thick blocks a 6 inch cavity and then engineering brick on inside, nothing's too thick for a good SDS and high quality bit :)

Madrab, you sound like you know what I'm up against. However, outside is still too high when I could just use the crawl space, risk a little splashing and need less flushing as that will be where most of the heavy sludge collects. Saves renting powerful pumps if I'm careful and regular.

Oh, forgot to add that's good advice re lock shield valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back