central heating from a log burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Simply unsafe.

If the stove can create 5kW of heat then to be safe there has to be a way to dissipate that 5kW of heat into air and/or water.
Then i guess that is what the gravity feed radiator is for

How can you tell that? What were you using to measure the Kwh with?
I know what a 2kw heater fells like; I know there is ample heat in it to heat more then the room in question; we are not stupid!

Sponsored Links
A boiler or heater that is fueled by gas, oil or electric can be shut down by switching off the supply of fuel. Shutting down a solid fuel stove requires the means to safely remove burning fuel from the stove.
Simply unsafe.

If the stove can create 5kW of heat then to be safe there has to be a way to dissipate that 5kW of heat into air and/or water.
Instead of burning solid fuels on the log burner. If we are the people we are the power we are the 99% where to run it on drip feed waste oil controlled by a gate/ needle valve tap. Then we could shut supply of in an instance.

Would this now mean that we no longer need our gravity feed radiator after all?

1704032728152.jpeg

What you ave to bear in mind that no matter how hot a stove feels when its burning is that only a proportion of that heat is actually transferred to the water.

Last edited:
I have now updated my hot water only system. By modifying it by

1. adding a breather pipe out of the top of the radiator
2. moving the out let pipe of the radiator so it is at the top of the radiator for better absorbshon (have i got this the right way round?)

Attachments

• e i (1).png
    e i (1).png
    5.1 KB · Views: 29
  • e ii (1).png
    e ii (1).png
    5.4 KB · Views: 26
What you ave to bare in mind that no matter how hot a stove feels when its burning is that only a proportion of that heat is actually transferred to the water.
People tell me in the pub "oh its cold tonight! that is because we are running the central heating though the log burner "
Are there any statistics in percentage of what heat a back boiler will take out of the log burner

I have now updated my hot water only system. By modifying it by

1. adding a breather pipe out of the top of the radiator
2. moving the out let pipe of the radiator so it is at the top of the radiator for better absorbshon (have i got this the right way round?)
WTF is the radiator breather going to achieve?
The flow/return to that rad are now correct (remember flow pipe should be slightly uphill to the rad, return should be slightly downhill from the rad)

People tell me in the pub "oh its cold tonight! that is because we are running the central heating though the log burner "
Are there any statistics in percentage of what heat a back boiler will take out of the log burner
Depends to some extent on the area of the boilers surface exposed to the heat,

Instead of burning solid fuels on the log burner. If we are the people we are the power we are the 99% where to run it on drip feed waste oil controlled by a gate/ needle valve tap. Then we could shut supply of in an instance.

Would this now mean that we no longer need our gravity feed radiator after all?
You don't need the heat loss rad in the same way you don't need lifeboats on a passenger ship.
In theory a correctly designed and maintained wet woodburner system could boil dry without risk of injury to bystanders. The process would be noisy, messy and expensive but shouldn't kill anyone.
The heatloss rad is there to prevent the system from boiling in the first place because boiling (steam creation) is what causes the major hazard. As above, steam in a properly designed and maintained system should not be a disaster. BUT if the system has not been correctly designed/installed or a key component has become blocked, a steam explosion will make a right mess of your house and probably half the street

Yes that's what it will do, question was what will it achieve? What problem does it solve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back