central heating function

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has an old system in her house whereby when you call for hot water, everything works fine.
Just the dhw, radiators stay cold
When you call for heating, you have to have the dhw on, and the heating cuts out on the dhw tank thermostat.
The system appears to be a fully pumped open vented s plan?

Is there a faulty valve?
is there a valve fitted?
There is the supply to the boiler, and the tank stat wiring only at the time clock, which makes me think there is no valve, or not wired?

any thoughts please guys?

Sponsored Links
Have you found any motorised valves like the one below?

If you only have one of these valves, then the system may be designed to work the way it does. If that's the case, you may be able to make a few small changes and add a second valve to make it S plan with seperate control of hw and ch. As it is an old system, this is the most likely scenario.

If you already have 2 valves, then your system is already s plan. In that case, the ch's valve may be faulty.

thanks for the reply, i have not found any valves or any wiring anywhere, i guess i will have to have all the floor up, are there any likely locations for these valves?

Sponsored Links
Post a few pics of what there is, blr pipes around airing cupboard, pump etc, we may be able to advise before floors come up.
Valves are often in airing cupboard or near the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back