Central heating gas pipe opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
Hi

I was just wondering if I could get some professional opinions from gas Central heating installers.

My mum this week has has a new boiler fitted.

The installer has put run a new gas pipe from the gas cupboard to the new boiler (in the kitchen) and in my opinion has been lazy and run it outside on the front go the house.

(I have attached a photo)

It look horrendous. There are several routes inside the house where the pipe could have run, but obviously would have meant channeling out or the lifting of floor boards (which my mum would not have minded) and obviously a little more time and effort from the installer. The installer obviously took the easiest and fasted route.

I have only seen this today myself and will obviously be raising it tomorrow with the relevant people.

I would just like to get some professional opinions on the professional misconduct of such a job. I can only describe it as a cowboy job!

Is this also safe to do this??

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Copper gas pipes can be routed externally, did the engineers quote describe the route that would be taken or the extra charge that would be incurred if a more difficult route has used?

There was no mention of putting the pipe outside from the first surveyor.

It was only the installer who took this decision.

My mum just assumed the pipe work would be inside the house.

I personally have never seen this on a house and there was certainly options inside the house where the pipe could have gone!

The cable to the outside light isn't exactly impressive!

At least the copper pipe is straight / vertical / horizontal.

Sponsored Links
It's Safe, It's Legal and unless the contract states pipe runs there is absolutely no recourse for the gas supply, if you wan't it rerouted they will i am sure quote you to do so and so will any local company in future if you want the pipes a certain way get it in the agreement that way you have recourse and they can quote accordingly

Reminds me of an apprentice on a firm I was with ( as a qualified plumber ) he couldn't master a pipe bender and used fittings all the time

@Reed24

Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you wanted the pipework routing internally then why was it not requested?

Also would you have paid for the additional labour involved with lifting carpets, floorboards, notching joists, repairing ceilings, re decorating areas and the replacement of all the boards and carpets?

How many quotes did you receive for this job and how much were they for?

How much did you pay this company?

Until you can answer these questions then you have no comeback on the company as it is a perfectly acceptable job.

And yes I am an RGI myself

Jon.

Reminds me of an apprentice on a firm I was with ( as a qualified plumber ) he couldn't master a pipe bender and used fittings all the time

You wouldn't use a pipe bender on that at all as it would look bloody awful against the brickwork and it's 90 degree lines. Much better as it is.

Theres a time and a place for pipe bending and it's not that often. Fitting look tidier most of the time.

Bending a pipe isn't a skill that sets you above another as we can all do it just the better of us guys know when to actually use them. :whistle:

Jon

Whats bugging me the most is why one hanging basket bracket is higher than the other and is a different colour!! Why.....Just WHY!!??

Oh and if the OP could just confirm that the vent is actually blocked off. If not then that should really be your only concern.

Jon

You wouldn't use a pipe bender on that at all as it would look bloody awful against the brickwork and it's 90 degree lines. Much better as it is.

Theres a time and a place for pipe bending and it's not that often. Fitting look tidier most of the time.

Bending a pipe isn't a skill that sets you above another as we can all do it just the better of us guys know when to actually use them. :whistle:

Jon
I'm suitably humbled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back