Central Heating Help Please ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I’m new to forums and this is my first post...

I have a Y-Plan central heating/hot water system. (Separate water tank in airing cupboard) The motor seized on my 3 port valve so replaced both motor and valve. Ever since, when the heating and hot water is on at the same time, the rads downstairs go Luke warm/cold. The bathroom radiator upstairs still works fine (we don’t have the other rads on upstairs) This never happened before the valve issue, was always able to have both CH & HW on at the same time successfully. So frustrating...any help information would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Did you fit the valve the correct way?

Hi Chris

Thanks for replying.

Followed install instructions to the letter, both working fine independently so am assuming so.

OK, so if that’s good and they work ok independently, then it might be a faulty valve out of the box.

Sponsored Links
Well funny you should say that...

When I got the valve I expected the spindle to move a lot more than it actually did so I phoned Drayton to enquire and the technical guy claimed they’re designed to only turn around 10 degrees and that it was fine to use !!!

If it was faulty in the “Both” position would the bathroom rad still work like it does?

If it’s faulty, then yes possibly.

I suppose it could be...

It’s annoying that I specifically checked it was working as it should be with Drayton but hey ho

Oh well looks like another drain down and replacement at some point.

Any other ideas if I replace again and still have the issue?

Rather than draining it down etc, find the cause of the problem first.

Remove valve head, then operate valve spindle by hand and see if appropriate pipes get hot. A port is heating, B is cylinder.

If it works, then you need to find the fault with the actuator/ wiring.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi Kidgreen

Good thinking, could try that.

I just assumed that with them working independently then the actuator must be working.

Hi Kidgreen

My hot water came on @ 4pm so I made sure my heating was switched on aswell.

All pipes are hot as they should be, rads are cold apart from bathroom one which is hot.

It’s like the hot water is just disappearing as the pipe going down to the rads is roasting but the rads are not hot !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back