Central Heating/Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Last year we had our hot/cold water tanks moved into the loft. Since then,we have been unable to have just hot water on when using the boiler as the radiators also get hot. The central heating is also,not responding to the room themostat,as it just keeps getting warmer and warmer. We have subsequently,replaced the 3 port valve,the electronic programmer and the room stat,all to no avail. All the components seem to be working fine individually,just not together. Could it be a wiring fault,in the 8 port junction box,as I can't think of anything else.
Any advice most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Softus

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Is there a standard layout for the 8 point junction box or does it vary depending on the make & model of the components, i.e. pump, three port valve etc?

Yes, visit the Honeywell site for info. Their wiring diagrams are classed as industry standard.

Sponsored Links
JMDS, that's useful advice from gas4you, but you'll probably find what we all do, which is that many installers ignore the 'standard' and do it freestyle.

However, do study the wiring diagrams because once you understand what's going on you'll be able to fault-find your system. If you have any questions you'll get plenty of help here.

When he moved pipework he may have teed the heating return in wrong.
Turn it off and leave to go stone cold, then turn fused spur off to make sure valve de-energises .
Room stat to off power back on programmer heating off and water on as system starts to heat HW outlet of the 3 port valve will start to get very hot the heating one should not(it will feel warm for about first12 inches then cool)..

If it is getting hot the same as the HW pipe then valve/wiring is faulty if it stays cool and rads are getting hot then a return is in the wrong position

Thanks to all 3 of you for the advice.Will try your suggestion first namsag, before I look at the junction box. I've just been on the Honeywell site and found the wiring diagram. Hopefully I can get it sorted.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back