Central Heating in an empty property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hopefully someone can help me out with this

I have a property which is up for sale but is currently vacant. I dont want to turn the heating off over winter as it isn't very inviting to walk into a stone cold house.

It is a relatively new house (built 2011) so is fairly well insulated, the boiler is in the garage and there is no water tank in the loft to worry about.

I was thinking of leaving the heating on constant at around 15° to keep the house aired and not stone cold.

Has anyone any other recommendations

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a pretty good idea, but of course this doesn't stop you turning the water off in the property - which you should do if only for insurance reasons.
John :)

Hi John thanks for the info, just so I am clear, I presume I can switch the hot water off completely as the hot water tank is in the airing cupboard. Its an unvented system? Also as the central heating is a closed circuit I should turn off the water at the mains?

Sorry if they are stupid questions but I usually live in my house and dont have to worry about this sort of stuff

Yep, turn the water off a the mains and all will be fine.
If you can spot any unlagged pipes, then sort that before you close the place up. Obviously check the property from time to time just to see if everything is ok.
Any outside taps are at risk of course so lag them well or isolate them if you can.
John :)

Sponsored Links
With modern boiler you should never turn off the mains power to the boiler as it has frost protection and will turn on when the temperature falls below about 3-5 degrees.

In your case I would time it to be at 15 degrees during the viewing hours say 8 am to 8 pm and not waste fuel overnight.

But then I am a little mean.

Of course if weather gets close to freezing I would leave it on 24/7 but probably at just 12 C.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back