Central heating issue(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My central heating only seems to come on when the thermostat on the side of the hot water tank hasn't reached the set temperature. If I set the little dial on the side of the hot water tank to what appears to be a reasonable limit, I get plenty of hot water, and it prevents the water in the tank from boiling. However, as soon as it hits this desired temperature, my Central heating stops working, so I have to turn up the little dial to get the central heating on, which in turn seems to 'boil' the water in the tank (It might not boil it but it sounds like its bubbling). I had a previous plumber looking at it briefly about 18 months ago, and he reckoned the wiring was probably wrong, but said I needed a 'heating engineer' that understands how these things are wired as the one I had 'looked confusing' and wasn't prepared to investigate further. Annoyingly, one of my downstairs radiators has also decided to stay cold now, but I wanted to replace that with a 'double' radiator anyway - again I had a plumber round to look at it and he said because I have a 'Open vented' system, he would have to 'freeze' the pipes around the radiator before he could remove it but couldn't give me a proper quote in case the 'freezing' failed. I did a quick google and it explained that an experienced plumber would 'wedge up' the ball cock in the loft to prevent the system filling (or turn off the value up there), then drain the system, replace the radiator, then refill it, bleed it.... all in a relatively short time. Maybe I'm just unlucky picking a plumber with the right skills ? (he also said he cant get the same type of radiator but I did another google search and found them in 5 mins). Can anyone advise me please on the best way to proceed. Many thanks, Pete Bolton,Lancs

Sponsored Links
First problem: if you have a three port valve, usually near to the hot water cylinder, then have that investigated; its end-switches may have failed.
Second problem: fix the first, and the second may go away.

MM

You need a good central heating engineer ,as opposed to a plumber. Assuming all the wiring is connected properly , then a number of things can prevent the boiler from running when you want central heating ,if they are defective. The programmer/ timer ,wall thermostat, motorised valves. A good engineer would suss it out quite easily. The plumber who thinks pipe freezing is the only way is a numpty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back