Central heating long lengths of 15mm

The difference is that Option 2 short circuits all of the radiators and will be the path of least resistance - meaning water will always try and flow through that path rather than where you want it to go (i.e. through the radiators).

Ok thank you :)

It makes me wonder why we bother using 22mm at all though, if it's going to be bottlenecked by 15mm at the end of the run, why don't we just do the whole thing in 15mm?

Sponsored Links
Ok thank you :)

It makes me wonder why we bother using 22mm at all though, if it's going to be bottlenecked by 15mm at the end of the run, why don't we just do the whole thing in 15mm?

Because you have multiple radiators coming off of a 22mm "trunk". There's a maximum BTU a 15mm pipe can deliver. I think the rule of thumb (something I read on here many years ago) was a maximum of 3 "average sized" radiators from a 15mm pipe.

Pipe length and resistance also comes into it. The longer the length of pipe, the more resistance it has. Using a larger pipe reduces this resistance.

The difference is that Option 2 short circuits all of the radiators and will be the path of least resistance - meaning water will always try and flow through that path rather than where you want it to go (i.e. through the radiators).
Balancing would be impossible if Option 2 was used.

Sponsored Links
Some rads are more average than others, what is an average rad ? If It was at the end of a large system you could run out of pump head

If velocity through the pipe is too slow you can get other issues

Im not sure about how velocity being too slow on a sealed system is detrimental.

Lets not be shy @terrydoh . If we had a typical 600 x 600 type 11/k1 with a flow and return dt20 pipe in 15mm would we have an issue?

On 50 meters of pipe, fittings with a high resistance hex and 6 metre head pump you may struggle

No need to be bashful

What's the target design velocity for central heating ?

What's the method for pipe sizing ?

Wasnt being bashful. Your reply of "yeah okay" started this.

Would always look to design a system around 1m/s velocity with a max of 1.5m/s minimum 0.5m/s (although my example showed 15mm would be well oversized for this).

Pipe size would depend on kw required, length of pipe number of bends fittings etc, type of pipe used.

Typical 600 x 600 single panel would be approx 600w with a Dt20 n 15mm that would be approimatley 0.05m/s through that size pipework. A tad low one might say.

With less that 0.001 m head resistance per m I reckon my rad would be ok on 50m of pipework and a high resistance hex ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back