central heating nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

im having issues with my heating and need advice/help.

recently i had my rads replaced and boiler serviced.

Since this ive had problems with my heating, when my boiler is on and turned to full the pressure rises to past the 3bar quickly, i pressed the valve where the expanssion vessel is and initially water gashed out, then when i pressed it again it didnt.

also since then my gas bill has shot up to double what it was.

i want advice as to what could be the problem, i want the plumber to come back, but he recons that its nothing to do with what they done and that it could of be slude that would of built up?

also he said that he doesnt like re-pressuring expansion vessels as it doesnt usually work, and will charge me £40 call out

im simply confussed and need any help poss.

Sponsored Links
Expansion vessel is bust.
Nothing to do with the gas bill going up I wouldn't have thought.
You're not still with Gritish Bass are you? :LOL:

See the FAQ about EXVs.

It MIGHT be possible to repressurise it but that has to be done correctly.

That is nothing to do with the work he has done on the rads.

BUT he should have identified the EXV problem when he serviced the boiler and tried to repressurise it then.

So for that reason only I think that he should come and pressurise it without further charge.

NOT all engineers know how to repressurise them correctly. Perhaps less than 50%

Tony

Sponsored Links
See the FAQ about EXVs.

It MIGHT be possible to repressurise it but that has to be done correctly.

That is nothing to do with the work he has done on the rads.

BUT he should have identified the EXV problem when he serviced the boiler and tried to repressurise it then.

So for that reason only I think that he should come and pressurise it without further charge.

NOT all engineers know how to repressurise them correctly. Perhaps less than 50%

Tony
Hi mate, thanks.

They seemed to just hoover the boiler out, what words would be best to use
To the plumber? Inorder to not offend him as he is being abit touchy. And how will I know if they could do it properly?

If you have water coming out i'd say the diaphram had split so it will need replacing.

how long after the service did the problems start?

it may not have been doing it when he was there as i cant see why he wouldnt re-pressurise it at the time.Try it yourself or pay the 40quid as i dont think he will come foc.Also the prv might be knackered now so if you are getting him back or someone else be prepared for that also

how long after the service did the problems start?

it may not have been doing it when he was there as i cant see why he wouldnt re-pressurise it at the time.Try it yourself or pay the 40quid as i dont think he will come foc.Also the prv might be knackered now so if you are getting him back or someone else be prepared for that also

It seems like it has been doing it ever since they were their. He has also seem the pressure shoot up himself and said that it needs replacing without checking anything.

Its quite common to get a LITTLE water out and particularly if its been depressurised for a while. That does not necessarily mean it totally failed.

As long as the diaphragm has not got a hole the it will repressurise and the CORRECT procedure for repressurising will identify that!

He may not know how to do it properly.

Tony

Its quite common to get a LITTLE water out and particularly if its been depressurised for a while. That does not necessarily mean it totally failed.

As long as the diaphragm has not got a hole the it will repressurise and the CORRECT procedure for repressurising will identify that!

He may not know how to do it properly.

Tony

Thanks Tony

this heating is giving me nightmares!!

I was told to attatch pump, release presure through prv, keep it open and pump until vessel reaches and holds charge. Is this the correct way?

the nightmare continues....

the boiler is now leaking a green liquid

unsure where it is actually coming from, seems to be coming through the switches?

help

That green slime is often seen in sci fi films!

Maybe its been infiltrated?

Regardless I think you need a competent engineer. I dont understand why you seen to have Scot Power cover and an individual touchey engineer.

Tony

Heeeellllpppp me please - i feel like crying

I spoke to the plumber who agreed to come round and try to re-pressure expanssion vessel....

i waited a week for him to come and he sent his brother today, i explained that the boiler is frigged, that the pressure shoots to way past the 3 bar and that it has some form of leak in the boiler and this only started happening since he done the service - he tried to say that a service only consists of hoovering the boiler??? anyway he took down the front panel and noticed that their was a leak from a loose pressure relief valve - which he tightend, he then tried to take water out of the system from the automatic vessel under the boiler and subsiquently broke it/said it was broke.

he then went on to say that he/they do not re-pressure expanssion valves as it does not work and that he had to leave as he has another job.

the pressue in the boiler not drops to zero and they say that its nothing to do with them and that i need a new expanssion vessel, AV and PRV.

i feel like im being mistreated and am so frustrated with it. I have no idea what i can do to sort this out?

Firstly, calm down. You have come to the right place to get advice.

My question is- is plumber’s brother registered to work on boilers? Did you see his gas card? If he has no registration, then he cannot work on your boiler. No one, other than a gas resitered person should work on your boiler. Call Gas Safe register and check this out if in doubt.
Boiler service does not comprise of dusting the boiler but what is written in the boiler manual. Charging the expansion vessel is one of the tasks carried out during service. Hoovering the dust kid on boiler service and not worth the money paid out.

Loose PRV? Again sounds like sharp practice.

To get it fixed, man up and call the plumber and ask him to rectify the breakage. If he broke the part, then the break will be bright metal or plastic. If break was dated, then it will have tarnished/ got dirty over time. Look at the broken part.

If he is reluctant to return, talk to trading standards and Gas Safe. You can check his Gas Registration (If he is indeed registered to work on gas boiler) by visiting Gas Safe Register website and searching plumber’s postcode (as the place that needs work carried out).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back