CENTRAL HEATING - NO ROOM STAT:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a CH system with thermostatic valves on all radiators including the hot water tank (which has a copper sensor from tank-body to valve) - I think the bathroom radiator also acts as a bypass. So presumably the only mechanism for switching off the boiler is the boiler stat? Is it risky or dangerous to be entirely reliant on this? Could I introduce a room stat and just set it a bit low with the thermostatic valves in that room set high? And similarly with the hot water tank?

Sponsored Links
The boiler should be switched on and off by a time switch. The boiler stat will regulate the boiler flow temp. To fit a room stat you will need 2, 2 port zone valves or a 3 port y plan valve. At present, both heating and hot water come on together, you turn off heating at each rad [or "summer valve"]. At present, a room stat wired to your time switch would switch off hot water as well

To fit a room stat you will need 2, 2 port zone valves or a 3 port y plan valve. At present, both heating and hot water come on together, you turn off heating at each rad [or "summer valve"]. At present, a room stat wired to your time switch would switch off hot water as well

what a load of carp a cytrol is fitted on a gravity hot water system

wire the stat through the pump :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. There is a programmer so of course I meant boiler control during the on-periods. System is fully pumped with motorised valve serving CH circuit and a tee off to HW ahead of it (also pumped). Wasn't too happy being totally reliant on boiler stat and unsure if they fail "safe".

Is it not possible to wire a room stat so it just closes the MV when satisfied? I have the option of programming HW only for the summer months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back