Central heating not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any ideas as my heating is not working but I do have hot water and have tried overriding the zone valve with the little lever but still only get hot water.

Sponsored Links
sorry but if the pump wasn't working how would the water be pumped round the coil in the cylinder to produce hot water ?

If the system is fully pumped then could be a faulty motorised valve. Turn HW stat up to get the boiler and pump running, then move the lever on the CH valve. Do the rads then get hot?

Sponsored Links
sorry but if the pump wasn't working how would the water be pumped round the coil in the cylinder to produce hot water ?

Gravity. If you moved the tag on the motorised valve across and the heating didn't get hot. There is no water moving.

hi it doesnt seem to be the pump, the reason I didn't feel heat from the radiators when the central heating zone valve was opened manually is that I have a quick recovery cylinder that goes from cold to full temp in 11 mins. Have been running hot water out for 30 mins and radiators are now warm. but as soon as i turn hot water off at programmer the boiler turns off. Does this mean I need a new syncro motor in the valve and is there a temporary fix without running the hot tap in the bath all the time ?

Before you start replacing components you need to confirm what is faulty. A zone valve not opening could be down to faulty room stat or programmer as well as synchron motor. You need to check that it is getting power with a multimeter before you waste any money.

A temporary fix to get you heating is to manually open the heating valve, take the cylinder stat off the cylinder and turn the boiler stat down so that the hot water doesn't get too hot. This will give you heating all the time the programmer is calling for hot water. Heat output from the radiators will be reduced due to the decreased flow temperature but it's better than nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back