Central Heating Not Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Classic RS260 wall hung boiler, a Honeywell ST6400 Programmer, a Honeywell Room Thermostat, a Grundfoss 15/60 Circulating Pump and a V4073A Mid-Position Diverter Valve in a 'Y' Plan.
I hope that makes sense!
My problem is this: I have plenty of hot water both upstairs and downstairs but no central heating. The programmer appears to be working (i.e. comes on at the right times) and when I turn up my thermostat I hear a click which would then start my central heating but doesn't. If I feel my pump it is hot, as are the pipes either side of the pump.
The house and system are only just 3 years old. Is it my pump which is faulty? If so, is it easy to change or do I need a plumber?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Yee gods, somebody gave us the details we need!

Go to the 3 way valve, you'll find a lever on the end. push it to the latching position. Your rads will get warm but not controlled by the tstat, only on when the HW is being heated. Change the motor in the valve (£12 or so in Wickes) or change the head £30+

As an interim turn the cylinder stat UP and the boiler stat Down. Boiler will be on trying to get the HW hot but never get there, though the rads will be warm withthte valve latched open.

Thanks very much for that!
Could I ask a daft question?
When changing the valve motor or head I guess the system should have been drained of water. Where do I drain the water from and how do I refill with water when done?
Thanks once again.

I've been investigating this subject myself recently so can answer you, or rather will point you to a pretty good resource.

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/
Then click 'Central Heating' in the left column, then click 'Draining down system'.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about draining the system, the head's electrical and is dry.

...dry as long as there's a little bump on the head. If you can get at it it's actually easier just to change the motor.

As Chris said and a heck of a lot cheaper to change the motor,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back