Central heating pipes under concrete floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I intend to lay some copper central heating pipes under my concrete floor.

As the screed depth is quite shallow (around 40MM) I can't use ducts or make a plyboard tunnel as I intended

Therefore I am thinking of just securing the pipes to the concrete slab below with pipe clips. Then I will just lay the solid floor on top which will be held up by the screed either side. The pipes should not be in contact with the floor or any concrete and there will be around 5mm gap above them to the flooring.

Does this sound like an OK plan?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok as long as the channel isn't too wide. Insulate the pipes though, there should be enough room for 9mm foam insulation.

Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can repair the screed?

I'm guessing some sort of sand/cement mix, could someone advise on a specific product please? A bag of ready to mix or something. I've not done something like this before.

I have to build up the edge so that the floor board will have something to sit on.

It wont be seen, use 4 parts building sand to 1 part cement.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.

Do you reckon there would be any issues with putting a DPM under the pipes?

Not really required, but no issues.

Thanks for the tips.

It's just because of the oak flooring going on top, it says to put a DPM underneath.

Won't do any harm but there should be one within the floor anyway. If the flooring instructions say it then go for it. Better safe than sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back