Central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
Im thinking of.replacing all my old radiators that are nearly 40 year old .
The piping to the rad is 8mm microbore connected to 22mm pipe that is laying g on ground, half of it is insulated.

I want to change this to 15 mm to rads and a new length of 22mm.

Under my floors I can crawl around within the part where the main flow and return is pipe are .

I was thinking of using either all plastic for then 22 or copper with plastic branches to the rads .
Whats the best way to get the branches to to the rads without lifting floor ?
Could I just attach the new pipe to the old pipe and pull it through (making sure hole is big enough at rads?
Could I use the old rad brackets to hang new ones?

Sponsored Links
Rad brackets will not be the same,you might pull plastic pipe through by attachment to the old pipe but no chance with copper

Why do you want to do this? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Because my radiators take hours to heat up, its about 1 degree per hr , I've a towel rail plumbed in 15mm and it heats up quick.and my boiler keeps cycling , so a bg engineer has put it down to the small pipe size

Sponsored Links
have you added a magnetic filter and given it a chemical clean?

Because my radiators take hours to heat up, its about 1 degree per hr , I've a towel rail plumbed in 15mm and it heats up quick.and my boiler keeps cycling , so a bg engineer has put it down to the small pipe size
Microbore heating systems were very common yesteryear and they worked. I would think more likely a pump problem. I would get a second opinion before ripping everything out.

The boiler cycles every 60 seconds , whats the best way to test pump , its a gunfoss? And it does run , I've got a willow one thats in garage brand-new, need to see if its compatible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back