Central Heating Plan for Large House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully, we'll be completing on a house in the next couple of months which I'm expecting will have an eye-watering gas bill.

It's old (1600's), listed, and fairly big (8 beds and generally large rooms. lots of windows. Secondary but not double-glazed.)

I've not had a chance to look into the central heating in detail as we've only had 2 viewings, but there's definitely a *lot* of it. Almost all the rooms have multiple rads and just about all the wall space in some rooms has rads on it (e.g. 6 in the conservatory alone!?). There must be about 45 rads in total. There's 4 big gas boilers dotted around (look like combi's) and each is 1.5-2x the size of our boiler at home. Not sure how many KW but I suspect quite a lot. I'm not sure how it's zoned and I didn't really spot any obvious room stats.

We'll have quite a large refurb to do, and I want to take the opportunity to try and improve the efficiency/control of the heating. I'm not really suggesting I'll DIY this, but I'd like to understand what a good solution might look like in this situation (theory vs. reality!)...

As there's a lot of house to heat, I think zoning will be quite important. I like my gadgets so I'd quite like a system that can be controlled from phone/ipad (Heatmiser neo seems to scale better than most?)

Assuming that we start again from scratch, I'm thinking something like:

- Get rid of the 4 separate combi's/systems
- New big (commercial?) central system boiler (or 2 paralleled if necessary/better?)
- Unvented tank for hot water
- 28mm from boiler(s)
- Feed an 'upstairs' manifold in 22mm (located upstairs)
- Feed a 'downstairs' manifold in 22mm (located downstairs)
- 1 decent pump
- Mostly rads but switch to wet underfloor where possible (can I mix rads and underfloor on the same manifold?)
- Heatmiser neo stat in every room
- Heatmiser wiring centres
- Electric actuators on each manifold port
- Manifold port per room
- Rads in each room piped in parallel 15mm from manifolds

Is this a sensible way to approach it? Seems to make sense to me in theory (in my very un-trained head), but is real-life likely to be a different story? Is there a better way to do this?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
28mm from boilers??...Enroll on a course......
Ok, maybe not 28 but I'm expecting it'll need bigger than 22 due to the size of boiler I need here. Expecting it'll to be up being >100kw judging by what's there already.

Anyway, as I said, im not intending to do this myself - just trying to get a handle on a sensible solution to heating this big old house

Sponsored Links
Well....we're in the process of fitting 7 bathrooms and full central heating in a large house.....3 boilers with a combined output of 195kw's , 2 500 litre unvented cylinders fed via a 50mm water main.....
Oh and 54mm "from boilers" utilising 9 grundfos circulators...54mm gas supply to boilers too.....
Plant room and controls cost circa 64k.....:)

Well....we're in the process of fitting 7 bathrooms and full central heating in a large house.....3 boilers with a combined output of 195kw's , 2 500 litre unvented cylinders fed via a 50mm water main.....
Oh and 54mm "from boilers" utilising 9 grundfos circulators...54mm gas supply to boilers too.....

Any tupperware or speedfit to elevate the install?? :whistle:

Ok, thanks. I don't think we'll have quite the same hot water requirement but the rest of it probably isn't far off. There's already 54mm gas there.

Do I need to be talking to a normal residential heating guy or is this something more commercial looking?

It sounds just like your kind of job Dan!!!

Does sound interesting, haven't finished my changeover qualifications yet, only have test and purge. Although there are always routes around such annoyances. :D
You d fit an inter gas x 8 with low loss header and a sandwich box full of relays ! Be gone with you!

Dan heard the same with broag, viessman and all the others. Wb will be around for years as will vailliant and Baxi all good brand names

As west life once said " don't fight it "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back