Central Heating Plan for Large House

Would this be a 'cascade' system, with multiple boilers?

One boiler rated at the output needed to heat the house from cold and heat the hot water cylinder in a reasonable time.

The second boiler much smaller with an output just enough to keep the house warm once the larger boiler has heated the house.

Bernard's posts are amusing, he tries to give an air of authority, but in reality, it's like listening to my 7 year old discussing which car is the best.

OP, whilst Bernard's intentions are honourable, he is clueless.

Sponsored Links
Possibly OP wants champagne for beer money?
Seal the house purchase before wasting your time on heating requirements.

Last edited:
I am still waiting to hear how many people are to be living there.

Sponsored Links
In that case they can share a bedroom and save even more on the heating bill!

Bernard's posts are amusing, he tries to give an air of authority, but in reality, it's like listening to my 7 year old discussing which car is the best.

What puzzles me is that there is seldom any explanation as to how or where my opinions are clueless. Seems to be a policy shoot the messenger rather than offering a reasoned critique of the message. Maybe the messenger has messages that question the professional's "authority"

OP, whilst Bernard's intentions are honourable, he is clueless.

Not totally, experienced but not formally qualified.

Last edited:
What is not puzzling is that it is EVERY professional here that has the same opinion of your ideas, regardless of their method of entry and design philosophy. @Steelmasons and I for example are polar opposite, yet....

What is not puzzling is that it is EVERY professional here that has the same opinion of your ideas,

What gives me confidence is that professionals who do NOT post here have accepted my opinions as both sensible and practical. Add to that the fact that my self designed "eccentric" heating and hot water system works extremely well.

What is not puzzling is that it is EVERY professional here that has the same opinion of your ideas,

What gives me confidence is that professionals who do NOT post here have accepted my opinions as both sensible and practical. Add to that the fact that my self designed "eccentric" heating and hot water system works extremely well.
Why would a professional seek the advice of a non professional?

Why would a professional seek the advice of a non professional?

I didn't say they sought my advice, but when I put forward suggestions they, with open minds, gave them consideration and it went from there.

Some professionals are open to new ideas and are members of forums and mailing lists where professionals and non-professionals treat each other with respect.

...so would you size the heating load based on occupancy??..

The heating load would be determined by a discussion with the owners based on their requirements and expectations ( and budget ).

But if only two people will ever live there then a 48 kW boiler and a 800 litre unvented would be very expensive to run for just them.

Tony

That would be fun when they go to sell the house " yea well only two of us live here so we had a combi fitted" new prospective owner thinks "but we have a big family so we are going to have to spend 40k having a proper heating/hot water system put in"

I wonder why they did not do it when the house was being refurbished ?

over to you agile........(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back