Central Heating Problem - Fibreglass in the System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My heating stopped working on Friday so I called in British Gas as I have Home Care 400.

The engineer seems to think that some fibre glass has made it's way into the system, via the storage tank in the loft. He tells me that this is somehow blocking up the system and that there's no way he can fix it - he has replaced the pump but the hot water is not being circulated around the system. Bottom line is that I'm told I need a new boiler and, potentially, new pipework too. He stated a figure starting at £3000 for the work but likely to be far higher.

I'm a bit concerned about the advice, as the hot water is working just fine - it's only the central heating that's at fault. I asked about 'flushing' the system (as I've heard it mentioned on this forum now and again) and he told me that a) it would cost around £1000 for him to do and b) it would unlikely resolve the 'blockage'

Now it's not that I don't trust the engineer - his work is entirely covered by my Home Services package so it's not like spending time on this is earning him money. However, I wasn't entirely convinced by his argument that I need a whole new central heating system fitted or his explanation of why the hot water still works.

I'd really appreciate some opinions. I'd also happily discuss paying for someone to come out, have a look and offer a second opinion, if that's appropriate behaviour on this forum. I'm based in Hampton, Middlesex.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,

mroshaw

Sponsored Links
He is right fibre glass getting into a system is a horrendous problem it can get everywhere and flushing will not always get rid of it all and months later it can collect in manifolds, filters etc.
You maybe lucky and its just a lump of it in a tee or elbow.
Cutting out and checking various bits is about the only way to do it with fingers crossed and luck on your side.
But you should not need a whole new system.
But may be very costly in labour

I've seen this a few times, but it doesn't block the whole system that it needs to be replaced.
I would start by draining the system enough to be able to cut sections out around the pump and the feed and vent connections of your system.
You say the heating stopped working, what about the hot water?
What type of system do you have? ie boiler type, cylinder or not etc.

Hi all and thank you for your replies so far.

I think, so far, the consensus is that 'replacing everything' is not the right way to go at this time.

I've consulted another plumber since and he has also suggested that a flush and potentially checking the pipework around the boiler is also a far better 'first step'. Bit annoyed that the BG engineer has gone straight to the 'you need to spend 3 grand' option, without considering these options.

@45yearsagasman: Yes, the hot water is working fine. It's a Potterton, conventional boiler - if that sounds right? Sorry, not very good with this sort of stuff! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Hi all (again),

The BG engineer has called and found the problem - block at the header tank which, when removed, has restored the world to a happy place.

He's recommending a flush, just to clear out all the rubbish, but I can cope with that - friendly, local plumber can do it for under 200 quid (BG wanted £950).

That sound about right?

Thats a quick and easy reply for the BG man to give then he can go on to the next job and finish early!

Without some simple diagnopstic work its impossible to say where its blocked or even what by.

Did he even look at the header tank in your loft?

If its stupidly open and has no lid then they should have advised you and required thats rectified before they first took it on cover.

Even so its your bad system so the consequences are rightfully yours.

I would be surprised if someone could not fix it well within one day! That depends on access and if you have new fitted carpets or worse laminate everywhere!

Tony Glazier

Hi all (again),

The BG engineer has called and found the problem - block at the header tank which, when removed, has restored the world to a happy place.

- friendly, local plumber can do it for under 200 quid (BG wanted £950).

That sound about right?
He might be friendly and local _ he doesn`t need to be gas safe reg. to do a flush :idea: But I can`t see a Power Flush being as cheap as that :confused: . That £200 is an "easy day" for any Honest Trader in Surrey - or maybe a half day if they are Gas Safe :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back