Central heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ... I need some urgent help

I have got a 5-bed semi divided into 2 parts - one for myself (2 bed) and second for tenants (3 beds).

Got 2 boilers - one combi for tenants section and second system boiler for mine. Combi is working fine and so is the heating/how water in tenants section.

Problem is in my section. We recently upgraded to a megaflo and pump etc, and after that one of the underfloor pipes (tiled floor) cracked and the boiler started losing pressure after every 4 hours. We tried finding the leak through various measures including thermal imaging but no luck. So we got the central heating pipe cut at the point where it was feeding the ground floor so that at least the first floor heating was working without leak.

After this our builder gave us idea that rather than take the whole floor out and redo the pipes, we could leave the leaking pipes underneath (cant do any more damage since water is not flowing through them anyway) and do fresh pipes for the ground floor. We got this done by dropping pipes from the first floor radiators. Since its a large house meaning a lot of pipes we had delays in ground floor heating up. So the plumber suggested to install an extra pump in the ground floor, that seemed to work instantly but then we realised now the first floor radiators weren't hot, maybe the pump was pulling all the pressure from them before they could get hot.

Worth noting that before we cut the pipes, when there was a leak, all the radiators used to get very hot during the time the boiler was running. And again after I used to repressurise.

So now the plumber has removed the pump from ground floor and installed it in the loft where the boilers are, heating seems to run ok but the house does not get hot just warm. I have got a 31KW boiler and claiming to be good enough to feed 11/12 radiators but does not seem to work.

Any suggestions or comments on what I should do to get my central heating working again ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back