Central heating problem..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a problem my my central heating, of which i thought might be the mid position actuator from reading variouse posts across the net.
Dont think this is the case as i have now replaced with a new one and still the problem persists.
I'm getting a buzzing noise from the Horstman cenruarplus 21 control panel when selecting C/H. I was also getting a very slow drip from the Drayton Actuator. On turning off all power and replacing the Actuator this seemed to do the trick for all of 5 mins and then The buzzing returned and C/H once again cut out.

Any ideas would be most appreciated The wife and Kids are complaining of the cold.

Sponsored Links
What was the problem that meant you thought the mid position valve was faulty?

Anyway, buzzing from the programmer suggests a faulty programmer, when you say the CH cuts out does it appear to be the programmer switching off or something else happening.

I would probably start by removing the programmer from the backplate and then connecting the live to the call for CH terminal with a jumper to see if the CH works ok.

Hi Thanks for reply,

The Control panel lights are on, but all we get is a buzzing noise coming from the Control panel when you select either C/H and now also H/W.
Dont hear the pipe's or Boiler fire up like we used to when switching on either of them on. When i changed the Actuator yesterday it seemed like it had cleared the problem. But after a few minutes i stopped the 24hr programe (which i selected to test if it was working) to reset the programe times for when i require H/W and C/H to come on during a day.
Once i had done this the C/H should have came back on with the time setting, But once again the Control panel Buzzing came back and The boiler never kicked in.
Tried Both H/W and C/H switching on independantly and neither are starting up and just get the buzzing from control panel.

Does sound very much like knackered programmer.

I would do the test as I suggested - as that will by pass the programmer, and confirm everything else is working ok first

But you could just replace the programmer.

Sponsored Links
Hi again.

Ok lastest update is. buzzing has stopped but nothing seems to happen when selecting any prgramme for C/H and H/W.
Could the programmer be dead although the display and buttons still seem to work fine.
There is a battery in the rear that i think is dead. as when removing power the display goes out and this should remain lit im guessing if the battery was good.

Hi sorry didnt see your post when i was writing the last. Thanks very much for your help.
I dont have anything to do your test unfortuanately around the house.
Think maybe ill go buy a progammer.

Quick edit...

Should i replace like for like. Or would you suggest other.
Its a Horstmann Centaurplus C21 unit.
And looking at the back panel and insturction manual It's wired up for, Fully Pumped system using roomstat, Cylinder stat and 3 port Mid-Position valve.

Hi again.

Just wanted to say thankyou very much for your help.
Got in contact with Horstmann to see if their was a compatible programmer.
Was told the C27 programmer was basically an upgrade of the C21 basically it does a 7 day programme rather than 24hr. Back plate and wiring exactly the same, so got this from our local Screw Fix as the C21 was a little harder to source and would have to wait for delivery. Managed to do your test and that was working all good.
Thanks once aagain very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back