Central Heating Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help.
Recently I had a new boiler fitted(not combi), the pump and 3way valve was under the floor, the plumber has moved them into the airing cupbaord
They are now about 3-4 feet higher. The problem I now have is that the central heating tank in the loft is filling with hot water, this is not from the expansion overflow but from the supply to the system and you can feel it being pumped in. The plumber now says that the tank in the loft will have to be raised up the same as the pump to stop the hot water feeding into the tank. Is this right or is there another problem ?????

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply
pump is tuned down to 1, expansion pipe in not blocked, just put heating on and pump and whole system sounds like a plane taking off. the pump is now upright, where as it was horizontal. Will the tank in the loft need to be raised as this seems strange to me.
The whole system makes so must noise I don't like to turn it on :(

check the order of these things

should ideally be in this order

1. flow pipe from boiler
2. open vent pipe
3. cold feed pipe
4. pump

Sponsored Links
Your plumber may be a very nice guy etc, but this sounds like a configuration problem or the boiler thermostat is not working. If you can, turn off just the boiler and select heating on, then see if the water is being pushed into the tank. If it is, then the pipework is not correctly routed, as the pump should be sucking on the feed pipe. If it only does it with the boiler on, then the boiler thermostat may be set too high. Er...turn it down a bit and see if it controls the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back