Central heating pump gone - I think.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like my pump has gone, I'm resigned to replacing it anyway, but I do have a question.

It's been making noises for a while, can't really describe them though.

Finally, it's just stopped. The boiler fires then the overheat trip cuts it out because the water isn't circulating. I dint think it's the diverter because we're not getting hearing OR hot water.

I'm off to work now, but was going to try and spin the pump manually, and this is where the question comes from.

All guides I see mention about gently releasing the bleed screw, expect SOME seepage. No mention of turning off gate valves, just that the system is off.

So should I have got half a jug of water? With no sign of it stopping and needing to get to work I hurly replaced the screw.

And yes, I'm aware it probably needs a scale and flush looking at the colour of that water.

The seepage around the pump could also explain the air in the radiators.

20170226_081321.jpg 20170226_083426.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Give it a clean you might just be lucky, or if the capacitor has blown just replace it, cheaper and easier than a new pump

Bought a new pump anyway. Sent the Mrs out (as I was at work) with instructions to get a Grundfos UPS2 15-50/60 from Screwfix, of which they had 4 in stock.

For some reason she came back with a Wilo Yonos Pico.

Anyway, couldn't quibble as she wanted it fitted tonight.

Old pump out (water in electrics!!!!!)

New pump in.

Heating back on, yay.

Will do a full flush on the system very soon.

20170226_214359.jpg 20170226_214636.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back