Central heating pump running at night...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Halstead gas boiler which has worked well for 5 years or so.

Just recently I have started noticing that, occasionally during the night, the pump runs for short periods of 3-5 minutes. I've checked and the timeswitch is working as it should be, and certainly not coming on during the night.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem please?

Sponsored Links
Quite a few boilers do this, it's a built in feature to operate the pump at regular intervals to stop it seizing during long periods when it's not in use.
It's probably been doing it for years & you've not noticed, maybe the pump is a bit worn now & making a bit more noise than previously.

Quite a few boilers do this, it's a built in feature to operate the pump at regular intervals to stop it seizing during long periods when it's not in use.
It's probably been doing it for years & you've not noticed, maybe the pump is a bit worn now & making a bit more noise than previously.
Well you may be right but surely this 'feature' wouldn't involve the pump coming on twice in half an hour during the night (I could understand once a day perhaps...)?

You tell us little about your boiler or system. More info from you may assist in a diagnosis.

• Thanks
Reactions: ctp
Sponsored Links
You tell us little about your boiler or system. More info from you may assist in a diagnosis.
It's a very conventional condensing boiler set up with a pressurised water circuit for radiators and hot water tank. What else would you like to know?

Where is the boiler installed, have you got frost protection? How cold does it get at night where you are?

Thanks. To answer both questions:

Zone valves - both Drayton ZA5s fitted close to boiler.

Frost protection - yes, I think so but it hasn't been that cold here (south coast) recently and, in any case, I first noticed this issue in the summer!

Problem persists. Last night was warm outside and the heating time-switch went off at 2230 as usual. However, the pump ran for a few minutes at 0015 and again at 0040 (and probably more times during the night but either I didn't notice or was asleep!).

I could understand a sticky solenoid or something causing the pump to overrun but am puzzled by what's causing it to start and stop like this.

Any ideas please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back