Central Heating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just thinking out aloud and may have this done 'sometime' in the future if it's ok... I have a central heating/ hot water system that has the 3 port valve, indirect hot water tank and pump in the airing cupboard upstairs. The pump produces a small amount of noise which seems to be amplified a little by 'echo'ing under the floor boards. This isn't a real problem, just an annoiance to me as I sleep next to the said cupboard. Can the pump be moved to near the boiler which is situated in a utility room downstairs. If it can I might get someone in to move it 'sometime' in the future - thanks for any advise :)

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply, most appreciated. Can you enlarge a little on "depends on your pipework configuration" to give me a litle more info to work with - thanks.

Posting a pic of your airing cupboard pipework showing as much as you can. This will help us determine your system type.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply, picture should be attached.
WP_20160101_08_35_09_Pro.jpg

Looks to be sufficient room in that cupboard to line it with specific sound deadening material - much easier solution than a reposition.

By sound deadening, I don't mean expanded polystyrene. There are proper rolls of loft insulation like material that are woven to absorb sound.

That's an open vented system and though not impossible to relocate the pump, would be a lot of work to reconfigure the pipework making it expensive. The system could be sealed and the pump relocated, but again, more expense. As suggested, sound insulation, or better still.....ear plugs.

45yearsagasman, at least I now know it's not practicle - thanks.

Thanks snes for the alternative which I can pursue reasonably easily.

All above advise most appreciated - happy new year :)

The pump needs turning so that the large screw at the front is just above horizontal - It might reduce the noise But it's the correct position when moved.;)

If the pipework to the right of the pump was clamped to some wooden batons (ie make it more rigid) might this lessen the sound?

Thanks Scarum, I will try something like that and see if it improves or not :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back