Central heating sludge filters, auto bypass v/v, filters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heatng (Yplan, micobore, G rated boiler, no room stat, TRVs on all rads) is down just now due to a radiator having just been swapped, an electrical fault and a service.
The electrician is coming nest week to repair the SAT> earth problems introduced by extending the cyl stat cable and the supply to accomodate the bathroom. The original installer used the E of the T&E for the SAT and te bathroom instllaer elc conected all the earths together.

I gave the system a good flush for a few days with renovator before shutdown.

There wasn't much sludge as the system is drained every year and was retreated just a few months ago after the draindown for the new bathroom. I;d like to keep it that way as can;t afford to have all the aads changed or replace the microbore.

Is there such a thing as a mechanical trap for sludge that could be fitted in line, eg with a magnet (same idea as in a transmission gearbox)? If so what models are reliable?.

While it's down, is it worth getting an automatic bypass valve fitted where the original installer put a manual valve.

It's a G rated boiler Ideal Stelrad W2000 RS40 and hoping to change in the next year or two, probably for some sort of Combi with a little storage (not sure yet), so don't want to take too much money away from the budget as there'll be additional work on the kitchen to accomodate new plumbing system.

Sponsored Links
So long as you have a clean system with plenty of ihnibitor, the cold feed/open vent configuration is good and everything works ok, this system should last a long time. What with having TRVs on all radiators a bypass maybe a good idea, although it wouldn't be a major issue with your boiler. A magnaclean or magnaclean twin-tech are pretty good products, have a look online for them.

Thanks,
Will probably get one installed with the new boiler.

Another option instead of the Magnaleak is the Spirotech dirt seperator or Magnabooster. Solid products that won't leak! Fernox have just released the TF1 aswell if you fancy being a guinea pig ;)
If your happy doing the work yourself then for the sake of £20 I would fit the auto bypass.

Sponsored Links
Aye, I could fit the bypass v/v but finding somewhere for the filter to go I'd leave to a plumber as I'd rather be above floor level in my place since it's so cramped underfloor.

fernox have a similar product as the magna clean.
it's called the TF1.
it's a dual system , it catches magnetic & non - magnetic partical's
it comes with the same warranty as magna clean and fit's the same way.
as for where to install it , near your cylinder on the return where it is easy to get to so you can clean it out.
it also has the access point to add cleaner to the system.

Shouldn't you be replacing the old boiler now to get the £400 scrappage gift before they run out if there are any still available?

Tony

Shouldn't you be replacing the old boiler now to get the £400 scrappage gift before they run out if there are any still available?

Tony

That's the big question. 400 off would be quite useful but despite competitive market conditions, the capital cost is still quite considerable.

Even though I can get good discounts at the wholesalers I really can't afford a boiler replacement just now, as only last year had a showerroom installed for my Dad because he can't get in the bath.

If my Dad had consulted me before having the kitchen replaced several years ago would have had the boiler replaced at the same time as the kitchen and it would have been a relatively inexpensive job. I would have also chased in the cable drops for the sockets and not had such a struggle getting the rewire completed. He's a bit of a hoarder which makes it impossible to move in the place let alone shift furtniture and pull in cable. :oops:

It's not just the cost of the boiler, it's the other work which will add to the cost and place additional stress on my Dad. I'd also rather have boier work done in the summer so my Dad can keep the heat on and I can actually get hold of an RGI due to many being busy with breakdowns. Though a new A rated boiler η>90% would probably give a relatively quick payback in reduced energy bills there are other jobs which would improve his wellbeing and there are the interdependencies to consider:

Pre-requisites
The gas pipe to the boiler may need replaced.
Some replacement plumbing may be required under the floor. It's a very shallow void which several contractors have refused to work in.
The water main valve requires replacement (leaking)
Units need to be removed to allow wiring of the kitchen to be completed (including moving programmer to a more accessible point)
If anything needs to be changed under the bathroom then either the tiled bathroom floor will need to be lifted or the lobby void will need to be dug out Should be able to fish pipes so there is only continuous pipe between the rad point and tees fitted at an accessible point.

Post requisites
If a combi, storage combi CPSU or such like is decided on then after the cylinder cupboard is removed there will be considerable making good costs:
Extending the worktop.
Flooring
Decorating
Chasing in (probbaly re-installation) of cables which are currently routed through the cylinder cupboard.
Underfloor insulation slabs or sealed batts.

If a regular condensing boiler is decided on, then it's an easier job but wil require a replacement, probably smaller tank with better insulation

It all pivots on what sort of boiler is decided on and if I get permission or decide to install solar collectors. A combi/pcsu/ storgae combi would seem the way to go. Though I'd obviously take the advice of installers, I'd rather decide on the system before inviting quotations so I don't mess installers about by asking them to add this or that to their quotes,.

The place is also poorly insulated. There is nothing underfloor or in the lath and plaster ceilings and internal walls.

If your dad is on certain benefits then he might qualify to a new boiler on the Warmfront scheme.

Tony

Thanks, it doesn't operate here though. I asked at the local energy efficiency place too but no grants available.

Jocklandshire

My Dad said someone came to do a fire or gas or household safety check last year.
He doesn't know who they were, which organisation they were from or who sent them
I do recall my Dad last year saying someone had said the one wall heater with the flex disconnected from the spur was a fire risk as were towels on ... a towel rail so for all I know it could have been any numpty off the street.

They said something about the boiler ... he would get money off a replacement or it would be repaired free if it broke down. He got a leaflet but lost it.

That really nailed the jelly to the wall.

He's always this vague :rolleyes:

And this he tells me now, after getting the GCH fixed for him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back