Liabilty for sequential errors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating installer installed a Y plan GCH system in 1980s. Used T&E for the Cyl stat with the CPC for the SAT of the cyl stat. (this was fairly common bad practice of heating installers in LA grant installations)

Bathroom installer extends cables for GCH supply and cyl stat to wiring centre acble to accomodate new bathroom. Adds a segment of cable fitting a JB in an accessible place and a J/B unaccessible in bathroom floor void. I don;t think they even needed to be extended.

At the inaccessible J/B he connects all CPCs so SAT is connected to spur earth..

When called back when SAT ->E took out central heating, the bathroom installer said he'd connected everything straight through. The fault wasn't replicated as customer didn't know anything of the GCH wiring. Installer left.
Was it the bathroom installer electrician's responsibility to check which cores the heating installer had used (wrongly)?

Sponsored Links
if must be the second electricians responsibility, if we ever assume anything we must assume what we are looking at isnt done properly so we need to confirm all is right before we leave

Thanks, I wondered if I was being unreasonable since it's a legacy screw-up .
I did say that it was common for heating installers of old to do this and he shoul have been vigilant of that.
He's since called back is coming next week to rewire the cyl stat and spur. If I had the cable (don't have a 3c&E) I would have just rewired it myself but I don't and have just shelled out on a service.
Thing is it would have been less work for him at the time pulling the cable extensions 2m through the wall into the kitchen were the wiring centre is and I would have easily dressed them in and terminated them.

Edit: typos.

Sponsored Links
Back