Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Im looking to fit a central heating system into my house.
Currently got storage heaters :(
Im looking to purchase the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDi has anyone fitted or have one of these and let me know if its any good?

Also does anyone know of any good online places to work out radiator sizes?

Lastly to run the pipes I will be lifting the floor upstairs which is chipboard!!
any advice on the best way to do this i.e. dont really want to mutilate the floor and never done this before so really dont know the best way to run the pipes?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No offence, but, if you don't know how to lift floors or work out rad sizes what makes you think you can install a heating system :eek:

Best advice is to get someone who can lift floors etc, you can end up splitting chipboard up all over the place if you don't know what your doing with it.

shorky said:
No offence, but, if you don't know how to lift floors or work out rad sizes what makes you think you can install a heating system
Probably because he's willing to learn and have a go. After all, there's nothing illegal about trying and failing.

Best advice is to get someone who can lift floors etc, you can end up splitting chipboard up all over the place if you don't know what your doing with it.
well, why not give him the benefit of your expert knowledge?

Sponsored Links
wow shorkey did you apprentice to the same chap as I did

might of done, if he showed you how to do it with a razor sharp axe at first, if he did then it's the same guy :LOL:

80's built Woodchip floored houses are the worst. Thyey used an evil kind of ribbed nail forgot what joiners call them. The woodchip turns into wheetabix and grips this nail by swelling. When you try to prize it up it will break at the corners at the very least. If you can get sufficient of each room cleared try to take up a panel at a time. Cut the tongue out at the joins, get a flat floor bar and carefully prize up around the nails.

When you replace the floor you will need to screw strengtheners to the floor which is already down to replace the effect of the tongue and grove which these rubbish materials utterly rely upon. Be prepared to replace whole pieces with new woodchip floor.

Your choice of boiler is probably OK I don't think it's anything special YMMV.

You get best deals online but do you get best materials? Maybe save £300 in total, can't easily take anything back, maybe not made as well.

Paul a Nail punch makes it a lot easier resulting in minimal damage to the chipboard when lifted

Yeah punch them in, hate lifting it when pipes already under it . Saw has to be set exact and a wee prayer

Yeah I punch them in too.

I remember worst time, 3rd bedroom, chipboard floor, customer standing there watching, I thought right where shall I cut with circular saw? Started cutting down board and suddenly customer says 'wheres all that water coming from?'

I had gone down about 18" of 22mm copper, bang in the middle :cry: :oops:

Couldn't have got it better if someone had paid me a million quid :LOL:

I have just finished doing this in my own house, 80's built with the evil ring nails !!

Started trying to lift panels but they just broke into a millions bits. The best way I found was to set the circular saw to a depth just short of going through the floor. Then cut the section you want to lift, trying to cut the ends over the joists. Then use a flat bar and lift the panel out, the mm of floor you didn't cut will just snap off.

You will find that the floor will be weakened by doing this so much so that it will flex when you walk on it. I eventually laid 12mm ply over the chipboard and screwed it into the joist below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back