Central heating systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am completely gutting two cottages to turn into one - currently no heating at all - we have no access to mains gas but will need to chose between bottled Gas and oil,

Any ideas? - we're more concerned with keeping running costs down than installations (though not to extremes) but want to be able to have decent amount of hot water/pressure.

Any advice? :?:

Sponsored Links
First point is that your fuel choice will not affect your water pressure, depending where your water comes from you made need a pump. I live in the sticks with no mains gas. I have tried both LPG & Oil and much prefer oil. Overall I think oil is cheaper as there is a limit to how high the market will stand, there was a blip last year when prices went sky high but this soon corrected itself as demand dropped and I think the current price of around $70 a barrel which approximate equates to 35p a litre for heating oil is about right. For best economy in your cottages you should consider a Stanley or Rayburn central heating cooker which will provide all cooking, hot water and central heating in one unit. In summer months you program the cooker for your evening meal and get free hot water. I dont know what size your cottages are but I have a 3 bed bungalow with a Stanley Superstar Oil cooker and thro' the summer have used about 300 litres of oil for all cooking and hot water. When I bought the bungalow it had LPG 3 ring cooker and electric oven and used a huge bottle of gas (the 4ft high one) in 2 months and a large electric bill. My total oil bill is currently around £400 per annum.[code:1][/code:1]

Thanks - we have considered a rayburn/aga but have been told that because the kitchen is at the far end and like yourselves, its a bungalow, and the bedrooms are at the other end - it wouldn't heat the rooms effectively; any thoughts on oil central heating?

A grant condensing boiler is far cheaper to run than an aga.

If running costs are an issue, have you considered wood burners and bio-mass boilers.

Strangely enough most people go for oil heating and LPG/electric cooking in your situation, but as above if you have a local supply of wood, well worth considering.

Sponsored Links
THe distance from a Rayburn/Aga/Stanley to the rads is irrelevant as long as the pipe sizes are OK. Its normal to run 22mm on a pumped sytem but the Hot water side needs to be 28mm to make sure the the cooker doesnt overheat. I have no problem at all and in fact have to reduce the rad stats in the bedroom otherwise its too hot. One point. Aga's dont do central heating. Also, whilst a condensing oil boiler will be cheaper to run you still have to supply electric/LPG for a cooker.

Grant for condensing boiler sounds good if we cant get the aga - what does/is best for it to run on though?

Can I just clear a point again, you keep talking about Aga. Now, the traditional Aga cooker is on all the time and will only supply one radiator. Modern ones have oil,gas or electric options. The Rayburn is the version of Aga that does full central heating as well and the oil or LPG version can be switched on & off using normal central heating controls. The Stanley is cheaper than Rayburn and made in Eire but in all other respects is the same as Rayburn.As it happens Aga now own Waterford-Stanley. Personally I prefer the Stanley as I think it is better looking and has extra features which I like, but this is a personal choice. I hope that this will give you further options for your choice.

Thank you - it does help; I had actually written off aga/rayburn/stanley/redfire etc but seems they may have more options than i'd realised. - Going to price up and see what happens.

Many thanks

Felicity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back