What heating is best

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have a mate who owns a old cottage in the country at the moment he has no heating installed and no gas supply
Is oil central heating cost effective and would installation be the same as gas well apart from fitting the oil tank in the garden ?
Would storage heating be a better alternative ?
I assume a certificate would be needed for the storage heating but would the insterlation of an oil fired boiler need one (not being gas) ?
Also is it possible to run a combi boiler on bottled gas ?
And if so would a certificate be needed for this to ?
Cost would be an issue for him so if we could install something ourselves it would save him some cash for other things.
Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Sponsored Links
Option 1. - Oil fired Condensing Boiler, it would have to be notified to LABC (all types of Heating systems have to be notified)
It is likely that Bio-Kerosene will soon be introduced which may attract RHI grants - so watch this space!

Option 2. LPG Fired Boiler - this would best be served by a "Bulk storage tank" rather than cylinders Gas is cheaper per litre from a bulk tank.

Option 3. Ground source heat pump or Air source heat pump in mild weather these are exceptionally efficient in very cold winter their efficiency is questionable!!

Option 4. Storage Heaters. No Comment!!!

Personally I'd go for option 1 or 2. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back