Deciding on a non-mains gas central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just bought a 3 bed semi-detached Victorian cottage that has never had central heating installed.

It is not possible to get mains gas, so we are trying to decide between:
- Full electric central heating system with electric boiler and unvented cylinder (e.g. http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/ehc-12kw-fusion-comet---180l-direct-cylinder-package/)
- Standalone electric radiators with a separate water heating system (e.g. http://www.columnradiators4u.co.uk/uk/dq-peta-electric-3-column.php)
- Oil central heating system

(I have largely ruled out LPG due to high running and installation costs relative to oil.)

Having had conflicting advice from a number of plumbers and friends, I have a few questions which it would great to get impartial advice on.

Standalone electric radiators
I am tempted by the low installation costs of standalone electric radiators. However, what would the running costs be relative to full electric and oil? Also, will these be adequate to heat the whole house?

Full electric central heating system
I am also tempted by the lower installation and maintenance costs of the full electric system relative to oil. While these costs are of course higher than the standalone electric radiators, it does of course have the benefit of supplying hot water as well.

I have also been told that the running costs would be only marginally more expensive than oil (and likely to become cheaper relative to oil over time). Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance![/b]

Sponsored Links
Hi,

A freind of mine has a thermaflow combination electric boiler. Worked well if Gas not an option. As it stands they have changed it out as they have mains Gas. They are looking to sell it on :D also located in Essex will send you a message.

Any electric system using peak rate electricity will be expensive to run.

You should be looking at off-peak electric heat storage, i.e.
- storage heaters
- stored heat warm air (electricaire)
- thermal store and wet radiators

Storage heaters (with panel heaters in bedrooms) is often the best compromise between installation costs and usability. Systems like Dimplex Duoheat and Quantum can offer slightly more sophisticated control and better adaptation to various electricity tariffs than the traditional storage heaters, but are more expensive to install.

Stored heat warm air is generally unsuitable for retrofitting domestically.

Thermal store and wet radiators will give you a heating system most like gas in terms of use, but you will have a stonking big thermal store in a cupboard. You also have the installation costs and maintenance of a wet system.

Yes furthermore to the reply the thermaflow is set with programmers set to take advantage of any off peak tarriffs that you can get from your supplier. Think the current flavour of the month is economy ten where you get 3x off peak periods per day. The stored water will then be ready to heat your radiators when demand calls.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,
(I have largely ruled out LPG due to high running and installation costs relative to oil.)
[/b]

Yet you're still considering electric, which will be vastly more expensive to run!?

LPG running costs, if you have a bulk tank rather than bottles, should be similar or possibly even slightly less than oil to run, and LPG boilers are much cheaper than oil boilers to buy as well, so installation costs should also be lower. I could get you an LPG system boiler with a five year warranty and a standard flue for £750 inc vat - over £200 less than that electric one you're looking at which only has a two year warranty. A decent brand oil boiler will be almost double the cost of an LPG boiler to buy

I'd look again at LPG

lpg install is dirt cheap.

2 bottles 47kg bottles and a boiler coming in about 1200-1400 pounds installed for the boiler only.
Job done.

A little more expensive to run than a bulk tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back