central heating thermo rad valves

cheers for that. yes its the myson economist boiler. i will try what u say with the bypass valve. as with the lockshield valves do i first close them then open them all at the same rate ie say 1/4 of a turn on each radiator plus how long should i leave them at that setting (till there is no banging etc) thanks

Sponsored Links
You should really work out pump speeds, flow rates, index radiators and all that stuff but it is very rarely done . Check my previous posts (about a week ago) for a simplified way to balance them. If you search i'm sure someone else will have posted on this too.

If the by-pass gate valve leaks when you turn it just tighten the packing gland - the 3/8" nut directly below the handle on the spindle.[/b]

One other point, do you mean you have TRVs on all rads? Thsi is wrong, there should be one that has a lockshield at each end so that water will always flow through it. This should be in the room with the wall stat.

Here in the sunny south it is quite hot, so even if I turned my TRVs to max, they might be closed.

I am not a pro.

Sponsored Links
like I said:

there should be one that has a lockshield at each end so that water will always flow through it. This should be in the room with the wall stat.

if you don't want to fit a new valve you could take the thermo head off and fit the decorators cap.

Loosen the valve head so it just catches by a thread or if it is a danfoss cut the pin.

I thought you usually had to screw them down pretty hard to close the valve? A turn or two will keep the cap in place so you don't lose it, and make the valve look neater than leaving it bare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back