Central Heating vibration - water pressure too high?

C

cjbigboy

Hi

We have Oil Fired central heating/rads with TRV's
After the heating has been on for a while we get a vibrating and the system has to be switched off.

The boiler is set at it's lowest point.

These houses were built in 2000 and my neighbour said it is caused by high water pressure and that I should turn it down. We do also get cold water pipes banging after the kitchen cold is run or when washing machine fills and the downstairs cold taps are silly pressure

Looking at our outdoor stopcock, there is a plastic on/off switch and then a plastic hex headed section anyone familar with this type of stopcock?
And can the pressure be adjusted if indeed this is the cause.

I have searched the forum and seen water hammer etc, but don't really know if this applies.

Sadly I know nothing about plumbing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

CJ

Sponsored Links
Tricky one vibration, could be pump, pipes touching, or not clipped, a lot of things really

check you rad valves are bi directional. if not when hot and shutting down monodirectional valves fitted the wrong way round can make HORRENDOUS noises. Try removing heads to stop them shutting?

Sponsored Links
You can fit a Pressure Reducing Valve to the mains cold supply to bring the pressure down to a reasonable level. The heating problem is entirely separate, possibly what mrgas suggests, although you'd expect other houses built at the same time to have similar problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back