central heating working but hot water not!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

we hope you can help us with a small problem

we have a Worcester 24cdi combi boiler and the central heating is working fine but the hot water stopped working this morning and will just not fire up at all?

we can hear clicking before it fires up on the central heating but no clicking when we turn the hot water on?

i have read other post with similar problems but did not know if they was the same issue as it was on another boiler.

more info: when we turn the central heating on the "central heating red light" comes on. When we turn the hot water on we do not get any light?.

thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Hi mick thanks for the response

is this a small round plastic thing with two small wire plugs and two rubber tubes connected to it?

could you also explain what it does and why its working for the heating and not the water?

thanks again

I think you might be talking about the air pressure switch (thing with hoses from it) I think its probably a diverter valve problem although it could be the flow switch.
here is a link to someone changing the diaphragm in a diverter valve on a 24cdi theres pictures at the side so you can see.
dont attempt unless gas safe registered.

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/boiler/

Sponsored Links
:( that all looks a little bit to much for me. looks like im goign to have to call a plumber. :(

thanks for your help ismellgas

fingers crossed it wont be expensive

Don't call a plumber! Call a good boiler engineer and ask him if he is familiar with changing Cdi diaphragms.If access is poor can take up to 1.5 hrs to do.Parts about £20 tops,as for labour well......

ive found stickers on the side of the boiler which dates the boiler to be around 14 years old?

would you say this is a good time to call it a day and get a new one?

whats the avg age of a boiler before you need a new one?

or just keep replacing parts when they go?

This is a CDI folks.

They are quite reliable but when the boiler fails its better to get a fixed price repair from Worcester.

They are put together so that they are very difficult to mend and few independents will relish the job.

Tony

thanks for all the replys people

just one last thing

We went for a new boiler a (Potterton Promax combi HE Plus A)

yes we are £1100 (including fitting) lighter but the heat etc from this boiler is great, the question i have is, its been installed and the flu which comes out of the wall into the back garden isn't quite level and i am worried that the steam will tricky back into the boiler and cause damage.

can some one tell me if im right or wrong please

thanks again

Even in a cheap area like Manch that seems very cheap.

Are you sure the installer was Gas reg and has he notified the installation and you received a Certificate through the post?

Did he power flush or otherwise clean the system and has he added inhibitor?

Did he complete the Benchmark Certificate supplied with the boiler ???

Tony

agile you think that cheap i have seen cheaper quotes it dead for new buissness it why i keep going back into subbying

Why powerflush? to quote an another thread from agile

If you have many years eperience of heating systems they you will no boubt have seen systems well over 20 years old which are 100% clean.

On a sealed system, if its clean when installed then where would any dirt come from if its operated corrected?

I only do power flushing or cleaning when its necessary.

Well done firsthome we aren't all robbers :)

I have not seen his system so I cannot judge what water treatment was necessary.

My previous posting actually said power flushing OR otherwise clean the system.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back