Central heating works but no hot water

haf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a very old central heating/hot water system (at least 20 years?). Its pretty strange in that the boiler is actually installed behind a gas heater in the kitchen chimney... very strange but it seems to work. Anyway recently the hot water stopped working but central heating was ok - the immersion heater seems to heat up the water ok so am not too desperate yet.
Basically when I set the switch to 'hot water' only, the boiler doesn't fire up whereas it does if you set to 'hot water and central heating' - although I still don't get any hot water. Anyway I called in a CORGI plumber and he said the Director Valve was jammed and needed replacing but he couldn't do it as it was such old system - Switchmaster. So I am not sure what to do (I do a bit of plumbing so happy to replace the valve but don't know if i need an exact match or if any will do). The valve has a box attached to it which rotates to 'hot water' or 'hot water and central heating' in line with how the main control is set. As far as I can see the box works fine and it clamps onto the end of a valve which also turns so i'm guessing whatever is in the body of the valve is faulty/jammed.
I did see a director valve inc switch box at B&Q but have no idea if the wiring etc will be the same as my plumber said they were all different. Is there anyway I can get a SwitchMaster unit? Any other advise will be appreciated..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back