central heating Y valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't get my head round this one... probably me just being simple!

I think the Y Valve is broken but everything seems to be working!

We have a conventional boiler system, boiler in the garage, cylinder in the middle of the house in the airing cupboard.

If we put the heating on then the radiators heat up nicely, if we put the hot water on then the hot water heats up perfectly.

Putting the hot water on doesn't heat the radiators up, and I presume that putting the heating on doesn't heat the water up (but haven't tested this)

So it doesn't seem like there is any fault! but I'm sure the metal lever on the side used to move by itself as you went between hot water and heating (or both). The metal lever now never moves, it just stays at the left, I can move it and it feels very easy to move and kind of hooks on at the right but then the heating doesn't seem to work.

Have I actually got a fault or is this correct? Is there some way to prove a fault?

I believe it's a Danfoss 2 port valve with removable head

Sponsored Links
Sorry me being thick and thinking it has 2 outputs, so would be 2 port.

It is indeed a 3 port.

It's a Danfoss HSV3 3 port Valve

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure it's not working correctly, but we haven't really fully started using the heating yet for this winter. We just do the occasional 1 hour boost.

Anyway I was having a bit of a test last night.

I put the CH on for 1 hour, I could hear something happen and the pump kicked in.

I left it for 5 minutes and confirmed the radiators were getting warm.

I then came back and put the hot water on and turned the cylinder stat up to make sure it called for water.

I could hear the 3 port valve move (but the lever didn't move)

I left it for a minute or two, then I switched the hot water off, at this point the 3 port valve didn't make any noise and the pump switched off. The CH was still set to be on and the room stat was still calling for heat.

I tried pressing a few things like switching the CH off then on again but nothing happened. I switched the HW on and the pump kicked back in, but then switching it off again the pump stopped.

I ended up moving the lever across to MAN, this kicked the pump back in again with only CH selected, once it was running I moved the lever back to AUTO and it carried on running.

Any ideas what would be up with it?

It is a removable head - is it likely I just need to replace the head?

Any clues on this can anyone give advice as to what the fault would be?

My next course of action was going to be to take the head off and have a look for anything obvious

It used to work fine!

We did have a new boiler in spring last year (so towards the end of using heating) They didn't touch anything in the airing cupboard though, they just replaced the boiler - could they have messed anything up from there?

The boiler is in the garage and just has a few wires going to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back