CENTRAL HEATING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anybody could advise me as to fixing my central heating.

I have two valves, one for the heating and one for the water. When I switch the timer on or switch it to constant the valves do not move over to their on position and therefore does not light the boiler. I have bled the radiators and changed the motors in the valves but this has not worked. I have to manually push the valves to on to get the heating and water working. When the heating is on the radiators get red hot. Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Are the cyl stat and room stat set for heating call?

You need to test wiring connections with a multimeter to see where it is failing.

Be careful though 240v mains :eek:

Also what Boiler do you have

it may not be relevent but it would be nice to know

also what timer do you have?

I only have a room thermostat and keep turning it up and down to see if that helps but it seems to have no effect. Today I switched the controls to constant and the boiler lit up and warmed the hot water but not the central heating.

The boiler is a Glow-Worm Spacesaver MkII and the programmer is a Landis & GYR Programmer RWB2 and the thermostat is an ACL TS142.

I have bled the raditors again this evening and have also noticed that the pump is very hot.

I have checked the wiring with an electric testing screwdriver and there seems to be no current running through the wire to the thermostat. Dont know what to do next!!

Sponsored Links
Could be a faulty programmer, or even a faulty ch valve head.

Unfortunately you need to test the heating circuit logically from a point(terminal) that you know is live when it should be and then carry on throught the circuits until you find where it goes dead.

Sorry this is stating the obvious, but without proper diagnostics we would all be guessing.

Your system is quite old so it could be any of a dozen things down to damaged wires or corroded or loose electrical connections somewhere.
If you are not experienced with a multi meter, get someone in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back