central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my central heating is not coming on - I have a Switchmaster Sm805 control timer which usually makes a ticking noise, this has stopped ticking so I changed the fuse and it briefly started ticking again, then the fuse went again. My question is do I spend a lot of money on a new timer or could there be another problem. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Would help if you described the rest of your system controls and boiler for us.

Usually a fuse blowing would be caused by a component other than a timer.

Hi, I have an Ideal Mexico Slimline boiler, about 4 years old. Hot water comes from an immersion tank which has a thermostat attached to it. I'm quite ignorant on how things work but I have an 'object' which I think has a switch in it which goes from heating water to the central heating. This was replaced once before when it kept sticking. If this is sticking again would it cause the time control to fuse?
I hope this makes sense!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have an Ideal Mexico Slimline boiler, about 4 years old. Hot water comes from an immersion tank which has a thermostat attached to it. I'm quite ignorant on how things work but I have an 'object' which I think has a switch in it which goes from heating water to the central heating. This was replaced once before when it kept sticking. If this is sticking again would it cause the time control to fuse?
I hope this makes sense!

Thanks.

makes sense!

the object is probably the mid position valve unlikely to be causing the fuse problem they usually just stop switching correctly.

the most likely item is the pump locate it (switch off power) remove the live wire and put in a choc block power back up and see if fuse blows if it doesn't thats your problem Pump U/S

if it still trips come back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back