Central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying a 1960's flat that needs totally refurbishing and I was hoping someone with experience could tell me the most economical way to go, all electric or gas and electric?

I will either take out the old rusty metal tank and cylinder and get a combi boiler installed, new radiators and new gas cooker, have to get the boiler serviced yearly.
Obviously still have the electric bill from the lights, TV etc, washing machine, fridge etc.

Or would it be more economical to replace the water tank and water cylinder, get a new electric storage heating system installed and new electric cooker.

Sponsored Links
A quality gas combi boiler and new rads sounds good to me - cooking with gas or electric is up to you, really.
However, your installer will have to assess the gas requirements of the boiler to determine if the supply can cope - so there's a bit of homework to do!
John :)

Thanks for the reply, I will get a couple of quotes.

It is a 65 square meter flat, 2 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen, bathroom and hallway.

Any specific questions I should ask?

Just tell him what your requirements are, and ask the same questions to the people who will come to quote.....
Ask which boiler is recommended (years of discussion on this site but Vaillant is a one that springs to mind) - state how many radiators you want, and if you want a shower off the combi etc. Your installer should be able to calculate which boiler you need.
Gas and water pressure are naturally significant factors concerning your installation.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back