Electric wet central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had my gas boiler replaced by an electric one as it was no longer possible to provide a flue meeting regs, actually in 2016 but this is my first time back at the property since then.

It’s been installed with the electric boiler doing the wet central heating and also feeding the coil in the cylinder (a Keston Spa unvented).

Tenants have been using it that way but the bills have been high and huge amounts of heat are lost to the boiler cupboard and adjoining rooms when only the hot water is on. I’ve fixed the immersion heater in the cylinder which hadn’t been used since the gas boiler went, and that seems like a much more efficient setup, surely? The cylinder is well insulated and little heat is lost in heating the tank. Obviously you’d traditionally think of the immersion as the expensive option but given it’s all electric anyway I think the opposite is the case.

But this leaves me with some questions…

1. What’s the ideal return temperature for the electric wet central heating? Can it be much lower than gas?

2. Can I safely close the valve to the indirect coil on the water cylinder, to disable the external boiler from heating it?

3. If I can’t do that, is it going to cause problems if the direct immersion temperature is different to the external boiler temperature? At the moment I have the external boiler set to 30 and the immersion set to 70.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Thanks

max

Sponsored Links
The bills have been high because electricity costs 4 times as much per kWhour as gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back