Can my oil boiler do hot water as well as CH?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have no gas so use oil and electric only. We have a Grant Vortex Eco boiler that was fitted by previous owner 2 years ago. This boiler only does the central heating. The hot water is provided by immersion heaters in an unvented cylinder.

The hot water cylinder is too small for our needs but it's location means I will have to put a new cylinder elsewhere.

I am considering 3 options and wonder if they are possible and which is best in people's opinion:
1) add a second cylinder with immersion heaters that works in tandem with existing cylinder. If this is possible?
2) can I use the existing boiler to run through a new bigger cylinder with a coil to heat water with immersion as backup/support booster.
3) just bin off old cylinder and do a new larger one in new location which still uses immersion heaters.

I think they are my options. What would you do?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Of course the boiler will do hot water you'll need to change your tank either an unvented indirect or a copper indirect and you'll need to get valves fitted.Bob

You will need to get the system altered and upgraded, but with the installation of some extra pipework, valve(s) and wiring, the boiler can soon be utilised to heat a HW cylinder as well as the CH. (Look at Y or S plan systems for more information).

Always wise I think to have an immersion heater fitted for backup in event of boiler breakdown.

Sponsored Links
Option two without a doubt although check flow rate and pressure of the mains cold water and if you have 20+lpm and a pressure above at least 1.5bar then I would look at replacing with an unvented to give you mains pressure hot water too.

Benefits being that this opens up a whole lot of new areas for it to be sited, you lose the tank in the loft and you get a better experience from the taps and showers should they be non electric. (if they are electric you then have the option to upgrade to a better showering experience also.)

Jon

Edit: sorry just read properly that yours is already unvented so scratch some of the comments.

Jon

Thanks guys. Option two it is then.

I'll speak to some local plumbers to get the system changed.

I appreciate your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back